forty.

2016
The Red Room

"I can't do it."

"Yes, you can."

"No, I can't."

"You can."

Yelena stares at the road before her and looks down at the bike and shakes her head, "No I can't."

Natasha sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose, "We're going to be here all day."

"Shush," Kennedy says, not sparing Natasha a glance as she looks at Yelena, "It's just like riding a bike before your training wheels came off."

"No, it isn't, the bike wobbles now," Yelena says with a little pout.

"I know," Kennedy tells her, "I was scared when I first learned how to ride a bike as well, but my dad stayed by me, and when I was ready he let go. Natasha and I aren't going to let you fall."

"Promise?" Yelena asks as she looks at Kennedy.

"I super promise," Kennedy says as she looks over at Natasha who steps forward and places a hand on her sister's handlebars.

"I'll guide you and help keep the bike steady, Kennedy will be behind you," Natasha says, "You trust us."

Yelena nods her head.

"Good," Natasha tells her with a smile, "Because we're never going to let anything happen to you."

She leans forward and kisses her sister on the side of the head, which makes Yelena smile. Natasha looks over at Kennedy and gives her a nod. Natasha begins to guide the bike and Yelena begins to peddle.

"See? You're already getting the hang of it!" Kennedy says.

"I'm doing it!" Yelena says, "I'm riding a bike with no training wheels!"

"Are you ready for us to let go?" Natasha asks.

"No!" Yelena quickly exclaims and Natasha laughs.

"Okay, then we're going to have to slow down. Kennedy's extremely slow."

"I can't help that I have tiny legs!" Kennedy shouts and Natasha smiles at her.

"Natasha," Yelena says as the bike begins to wobble, "Natasha!"

Natasha looks back over at Yelena and tries to steady the bike, but it's too late as Yelena falls off. Kennedy is quick as she catches the bike, preventing it from falling on top of Yelena. Natasha kneels beside her sister as Yelena holds onto her knee.

"Hey," Natasha says, "You okay?"

"It really hurts," Yelena says, and Natasha could tell that she was holding back tears.

"Let me look at it," Natasha says, and Yelena moves her hand to reveal a pretty bad cut.

"Is she okay?" Kennedy asks as she kneels beside Yelena.

Yelena turns to hug Kennedy, "It hurts really bad."

"Can I take a look?" Kennedy asks and she looks down at the scar, wincing a little, but not too much. She looks at Yelena and tries to smile reassuringly at her, "I have good news."

"What is it?"

"You're going to live," Kennedy tells her with a smile, "And you're going to have the coolest Band-Aid ever."

"Can it be Lion King?"

"Of course, it can be," Kennedy tells her.

"What's wrong?" Melina and Meredith ask as they both walk out of the Allen house. Natasha stands and is quick to explain the situation to them. Kennedy helps Yelena up and Melina rushes over as she picks Yelena up.