fifty.

2020
Staten Island, New York

"Mommy look! I made art!"

Kennedy looked at the scribbles on the wall and tried her best not to cry at her ruined white walls which now had green scribbles decorating them. She kneeled down beside Elena and smiled at her.

"Wow Lena, it's really pretty," she says.

"I used green cause it's your favorite," Elena says with a smile.

"I love it," Kennedy says as she hugs Elena's small frame close, "But what did we say about art?"

"To do it on paper," Elena says.

"Yes," Kennedy says, "But it's okay because now you get to help mama paint over it!"

"Painting?" Elena asks with a smile, "I love painting!"

"I know you do," Kennedy says as she kisses her daughter on the forehead, "Now where are your brother and sister? We have to get ready for TJ's game."

Elena shrugs her shoulder, "I don't know. Mommy, can we get a dog?"

Kennedy laughs as she picks up Elena, "We have a dog, baby."

"Can we have two dogs?" Elena asks, showing off her baby teeth.

"Maybe," Kennedy responds, "If you tell me where Frankie and Di are."

"They're outside," Elena answers, "Can we get a dog now?"

"Maybe," Kennedy says with a smile as she begins walking toward the backdoor. She opens it to find Franklin and Diana outside they were near the pool and Kennedy grew worried as she stepped outside and went over to the railing of the deck.

"Frankie? Diana? What did mommy tell you about standing by the pool?"

"Not to!" Diana answers.

"Yes," Kennedy says, "What are you doing?"

Diana takes a step away from the pool, "Just standing."

Kennedy shakes her head as she heads down the stairs and sets Elena down by her sister. The two of them were practically identical, with only a cut on Elena's brow to tell them apart.

"Smartypants," she tells Diana and the small girl smiles at her, "What are we looking at?"

"Turtle," Franklin says as he points at the pool.

"Aw," Kennedy says as she looks at the turtle.

"Can we keep it?" Franklin asks as he looks at Kennedy with wide green eyes. What was up with her kids and wanting animals?

"No baby, he's a wild animal," Kennedy says as she goes over to grab the net they used to clean out the pool. She scoops the turtle out and sets him in the yard. Elena goes over to pick him up and Diana stops her.

"No Lena, turtles can bite," Diana tells her.

Kennedy shakes her head, "Come on guys, TJ's soccer game starts soon, and you know what that means."

"Snacks!" Elena exclaims as she takes off toward the stairs.

"Wait for me!" Diana says as she runs after Elena.

Franklin ignores his sisters as he looks over at the turtle, "Bye-bye turtle."

Kennedy smiles at Franklin, "We'll go to the aquarium so you can see more turtles."

Franklin's eyes light up as he looks up at Kennedy, "More turtles?"

"A bunch more."

"Yay!" Franklin exclaims as he runs toward the stairs, "Lena! Di! We get more turtles!"