twelve.

2014
Barton Homestead, Missouri

"I think it's awful that Clint lives in the Midwest," Kennedy says as she looks out the window at the cornfields passing by.

"Says the girl who lived in the Midwest literally two years ago," Natasha retorts and Kennedy rolls her eyes.

"I know that, but you know what Ohio has? Two football teams. Not one, but two," Kennedy says as she holds up two fingers for emphasis.

"Missouri has one," Natasha replies with a shrug.

"Yeah, but Missouri also borders some pretty boring states and is like in the middle of the country. At least Ohio is near New York and the coast."

"Near New York?" Natasha asks as she looks over at Kennedy.

"Eight-hour drive is better than however many hours from middle-of-nowhere USA," Kennedy retorts and Natasha laughs softly shaking her head.

"Put the girl in a city for a year and she forgets her roots."

"I'm not forgetting them," Kennedy insists.

"Kennedy you lived in middle-of-nowhere USA."

"Natasha," Kennedy states as she points out of the windshield, "We are driving in a cornfield! Yes, I lived in a small town but there were no cornfields."

"Okay," Natasha says as she looks over at her girlfriend with a smile grin on her lips. Kennedy glares at Natasha before leaning her head against the window. Natasha continues to drive, her eyes flickering between the road and Kennedy. Natasha loved silences, but she hated them with Kennedy because they usually meant that something was wrong.

"I'm sorry about saying that Springfield was the middle-of-nowhere USA."

Kennedy looks at Natasha and then back out of the window, "You're cute."

"What?" Natasha asks confused, unsure what she'd done to warrant that comment.

"You think I'm upset when I'm not," Kennedy says, "And you apologized too. It's really cute."

"I take it back," Natasha tells her, "I'm not sorry."

Kennedy shrugs with a small smile, "Okay."

"Ugh," Natasha says and Kennedy smiles to herself as she reaches out and takes Natasha's free hand off of the gear shift and begins to play with Natasha's fingers before lacing them with her own and kissing Natasha's hand.

"Do you think Steve Rogers is capable of pet sitting?" Kennedy asks.

"I have to have some sort of faith because our babies are with him right now."

"Liho is probably giving him the time of his life," Kennedy says with a laugh. Liho was their six-month black Manx kitten that was kind of a little menace. Natasha had named her Liho, which in Russian meant 'misfortune.'

Natasha smiles, "Steve is probably chasing her around his apartment as we speak."

They share a laugh as they turn onto the dirt road that leads up to Clint's house. They park the car and get out with Kennedy taking Natasha's hand as they walked up to the front door. Natasha goes to knock but the door swings open.

"They're here!" Lila exclaims as she throws her arms around Natasha. Kennedy chuckles and lets go of Natasha's hand so she can pick the younger girl up.

"Lila!" Natasha says as she spins the girl around.

"Sorry," Clint says as he comes to the door, "She's been looking forward to this all day."