eight.

2012
Springfield, Ohio

Kennedy was sitting in her bed with a tub of cookie dough ice cream as she watched Scandal. The show had its problems but the yearning between Olivia and President Grant filled a void in her life. She sniffled and shoved a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth as the two lovers spent only a minute in each other's arms because that was all that they were allowed due to external forces.

Her phone buzzed beside her on the bed, and she put her ice cream on the nightstand as she grabbed her phone and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Are you crying?" Natasha's voice came through the line and Kennedy's eyes went wide as she shuffled to find the remote and press pause on the TV.

"What? No! I don't cry," she said as she reached up and wiped the tears from her eyes, "My allergies are just acting up."

"Oh, your allergies," Natasha says with a teasing tone, "So I guess a picnic wouldn't be a good idea right now?"

"I mean I could take my allergy medicine and maybe I could come," Kennedy tries to say casually but all she really wants to do is cringe and bury herself six feet under. Why was she so awkward?

"Okay," Natasha says, "I'll pick you up in an hour."

And with that, the line goes dead. Kennedy sighs as she grabs her ice cream and heads to the kitchen to place it in the freezer. She goes to the bathroom to find that she looked like she'd just rolled out of bed. Her hair was a tangled mess, and she was certain that she had bags under her eyes.

She took a quick shower and combed through the tangled mess on her head, only to hear her phone ring again.

"I'm still getting ready Natasha."

"I am not Natasha."

Kennedy's eyes go wide as she hears her sister's voice coming through the phone, "Reagan?"

"That's me. What are you and Natasha doing? Can I come?"

"We're having a picnic and I suppose Natasha wouldn't care if you're there."

"Oh, that sounds boring. You guys have fun though," Reagan says, and Kennedy rolls her eyes, but grins, nonetheless.

"Was there a reason that you called me, you little gremlin?"

"No, it's just one of those days where my friends all have plans and I had to turn to my last resort, my boring older sister."

Kennedy rolls her eyes, "Bye Reagan, love you."

Reagan laughs in her ear, "Love you too!"

She finishes getting ready and soon Natasha texts her that she's downstairs.

"Okay," Natasha says, "I have sandwiches and other picnic-styled assortments."

Natasha holds up a picnic basket with a proud smile on her face. Kennedy laughs as she takes the basket and looks inside. There were sandwiches and fruits, chips, typical picnic foods. She looked up at Natasha who was grinning happily.

"I have Tolkien!" Kennedy exclaims as she holds up the leash, which Natasha takes from her as she kneels down and pets the dog.

"Hey buddy, did you miss me? I know you did," Natasha says as she rubs the top of Tolkien's head. Kennedy smiles as she watches the two of them.

"Now let's get going," Natasha says with a grin as she heads over to the other side of the car. Kennedy shakes her head with a smile as she pets Tolkien on the head before climbing inside of the car.