Chapter 15

"Sidu, tu kya kar raha hai?"
8 year old Sana asks 11 years old Sidharth as she enters his room.
"I am building a house. It's for the crafts project at my school. Come, I will show you."
He pulls her to sit down on the floor. He removed the roof and she could see different rooms. He had built miniature furniture to decorate the space.
"Wow! It's so nice."
"Shehnu, I will one day build real houses. I will become an architect."

Sana smiles, "Yes, you will. I am sure. And you know what, I will decorate those houses. Arey main toh bhul gayi. I have brought something for you."
She pulled out something the size of a golf ball, wrapped in a colourful paper. "Kya hai yeh?"
Sana replies,"Open your mouth. Don't ask questions."
She closes his eyes by placing her palm over them.
"Mu kholo. C'mon."
He opens his mouth and she puts a piece of it by breaking it with her other hand.

"It's good na?"
Sidharth chews it and says, "Yes it is. What is this? It is really good. Can I have some more?"
Sana gives him some more and he eats them. A few moments later, he starts to cough. His face turns red as he starts panting for air.
"Sidu! Kya hua tujhe?"
"I..cannot.. breathe.. Dad.. ko bulao.."
That's all he could manage to say.
Sana immediately calls everyone, "Mum, Dad, uncle, aunty.. please jaldi ayiye..Sidu ko kuch ho gaya hai."

Sidharth wakes up drenched in sweat. He looks around to realise that he is in a hospital room. An IV has been attached to his hand and a tube of nasal cannula is placed under his nostrils allowing him access to oxygen to breathe easily.
F***! What the hell just happened? Who brought me here? I need to go home, Ma must be worried. Where's the phone?

He tries to get up and two hands stop him. It's her.
"Don't get up. How are you feeling now?"
He just gives her one nod. He remembers now everything that had happened before he fainted.
"Need to.. go.. Ma.. will be.. worried."
He tries to get up again but she holds him down.
"Don't.. touch me.."
"Sorry for touching you, but I can't let you go right now. You need to rest. Don't worry, I have called Ma and told her you are with me. I haven't said anything to her about you being here. I have told her that you will stay at my place tonight."

Sidharth lies down and takes a deep breath.
"She won't .. buy it.. Where is... my phone?"
She pulls out his phone from her purse kept on the chair. She gives it to her and he takes it with a trembling hand. Five missed calls and a couple of texts. He calls her number and waits for her to pick up.
"Sid, tu thik hai? I was worried sick for you. Shehnaaz called me to tell me you are with her. I know she is hiding something. Where are you?"

"I am.. with Shehnaaz. Don't worry."
"You are not well. Isn't it? What happened? Did you have.."
"Hmm.. I am.. alright. It was.. a minor one. I will.. see you.. in the morning."
He hangs up the phone and looks at her.
"Are you alright?"
"Can.. you call someone and.. get this thing removed?"
He points to the nasal cannula.
"No. You still have a problem breathing. Doctors will remove it when they find it right. Now go to sleep."

Sidharth smiles a little.
"What was there to smile at? Am I telling some kind of joke?"
"Nothing.."
"No, tell me Sidharth Sehgal."
"I remembered .. a line. She took my.. breath away.."
"What?"
He shakes his head.
When I saw you with him, I stopped breathing then. I died the very moment when I saw you were about to kiss him. Why? I knew you loved only him. Then why did it hurt me. Only because you are my wife now? No. I had felt the same thing, that night when I saw you with him. That time when we were nothing. What is happening to me?

"Do you know what happened to you?"
He nods his head.
"You had anaphylaxis. Doctors said, you were actually very close to getting an anaphylactic shock. You could have .."
"Died? It would... have been good... for you.. tumhara rasta.. clear ho.. jata. Why did you.. save me..?"
Sana clenches her teeth, "Will you just shut up? I never wanted anything to happen to you. No, not because you are Sidu. Not because you are my husband. I would have never asked for this, even if you were only.. Mister Architect..understood?"