Chapter 28

Sidharth says, "You will never understand. Shehnaaz loved someone else, at least that's what she believed. We were two different people from two entirely different worlds. You could have stopped her from marrying that guy but getting us married was wrong. Yes, today we .. are.. not bitter because we were friends when we were kids. That's the only reason we aren't fighting like we used to. Sir, you were wrong by lying to us about your health. You not only forced us to marry each other which was wrong but you literally scared your daughter. I have seen her worrying for you. You may accept it or not, it really doesn't matter to me, but you were wrong."
"Sidharth.."
"Dad?"
Sidharth looks up and Sukhbinder turns to find Shehnaaz standing at the door.

Sukhbinder asks,"Sana beta? What are you doing here?"
Sana takes a step towards them, "Dad, why?"
"Beta.."
"Sidharth, you tell me."
Sidharth stands up, "Shehnaaz, please calm down and we shall talk."
"No, you will tell me why. "
"Beta, I am sorry. I did.."
"What? What did you do that Sidharth was telling you were wrong? Aap ne kya wrong Kiya hai?"

Sidharth and Sukhbinder stare at each other and her father laughs.
"Oh beta it's nothing. Sidharth was just telling me that I was wrong.. in .. hmm.. in joining the office so soon. Isn't it Sidharth ?"
Sidharth doesn't reply but just lowers his head, avoiding meeting eyes with Shehnaaz.
"Well, he is correct. Sidharth, tum hi samjhao Dad ko. He is getting tired so soon but he still works till late hours. He will listen to you."
Sidharth looks at Sukhbinder and says, "Yes, Sir. You must rest. It must be really tiring for you to lie, I mean you need to lie down when you feel tired."
"Yeh tum Dad ko Sir kyu bol rahe ho?"
"Yea, I used to. Things don't seem to be what they appear. I mean, it was just a slip of tongue. What are you doing here?"

"I came to take you out for lunch. Dad, aapne bataya nahi, why were you here?"
Sukhbinder stands up, "Kya main apne damad se milne nahi aa sakta? Thik hai, you both go for lunch, I will leave."
Sidharth adds,"Yes, you should."
"What? No! You must join us for lunch. Please chalo na.."
"No beta, not today. Maybe some other time."
Sidharth says, "Shehnaaz, he is a busy man. Let him go now."
Shehnaaz hugs his father and he leaves.

Sidharth sits down on his chair with a thud.
"What is going on between you two? I could sense some tension was there. Bole ga kuch?"
"Nahi. Kuch nahi hai bolne ko. Now you can go as well."
"What? No way, husband. You are coming with me for lunch."
"Shehnaaz, I am going nowhere with you. I have work. So please leave."
"Sidharth, kyun kar raha hai aisa? Please na chal na.. please.."
" We will have dinner together at home. Thik hai. Tu ja abhi."

"Raat ko sab honge. Teri Jaanvi bhi hogi. Mujhe tere se baat karni thi."
"Kya baat karni hai? Please yaar, tu irritated mat Kar abhi. Pehle se hi.. chod. Let me order something, we can eat it here."
"A prison would be better than this.. so -called office. I don't get how you spend so much time in this tiny little space. Mera Dum ghutta hai. I can't possibly have lunch here."
"Kya karun, Mere baap ne mereko Mahal jaisa office bana ke nahi diya hai. Sab ke paas toh Sukhbinder Suri jaise baap nahi hote. I am very happy with what I have. This tiny little cabin and my honest dead father. I am okay with them. So you can just f*** off to the place where you won't be claustrophobic. Some place matching your standard, a five star restaurant."

"Shut up Sidharth. Why do you always say such things? I didn't mean to downgrade the place of your work. I meant it is not a healthy environment to work. Sidharth, tu hamesha mujhe itna galat samjh ta hai aur hurt karta hai."
Tears had flooded her eyes by then, "I wanted to spend some time with you. But you always.. hurt me.."
Sidharth looks up at her face. He could see her upset and it was genuine.
"Sorry."
"I don't need your sorry.. I am leaving."
"Hey rukh yaar. Sorry bol raha hun toh. Let's go out."
"No.. bye."
She turns to leave when he holds her wrist.
"Ab tere kuch jyada nahi ho raha hai? Maafi Mangi na. Ab kya karun, kaan pakdun kya?"
"Hun.. hain.. pakad."