Chapter 31

Shehnaaz gets down from the car and immediately enters the police station. Ryan and Rohan follow her inside.
"Where's Sidharth? "
She demands as soon as she comes face to face with the policeman sitting inside.
"Oh Madam, Yeh thana hai, aap ka ghar nahi jo chikhte chilate huye aa gai. "
"I want to see my husband. Kyun arrest kiya hai usse? You can't keep an innocent guy like this for nothing. Get him out now."
"Oh madam shant raho warna.. "
"Shehnaaz, relax. Sir, can you please tell us what is going on? Aap logne Sidharth Sehgal ko arrest kyun kiya?"

The man smirks, "Tambe, dekh idhar ek bayko, apne navara ke liye kaise chila rahi hai, Mera Pati, Mera devta. Aur udhar Pati haiwan bana hua hai. Madam your innocent husband has tried to rape a woman. Rapist hai aap ka husband. Samjhi."
Shehnaaz stands there shocked.

She walks up to the bars behind which Sidharth sat. It's dark so she is unable to see him clearly but she can see his silhouette sitting on the floor with his head low.
"Sid, tu thik hai?"
Rohan asks. Sidharth gets up slowly and walks towards them. And they can now see him. His shirt is torn, his hair messy and his face bears marks of physical assault. His lips are swollen, there's a cut over his eyebrows and bruises near the neck.
"Kisne.. kisne kiya bol. Shalo ko khatam kar dunga."
Ryan says gritting his teeth.
Sidharth remains quiet, just staring at Shehnaaz who has no expression on her face.

Sukhbinder Suri storms in with Rajvir.
"Where is the SI? I need to speak to him now. How dare you arrest my son-in- law?"
The constable stands up, "They are on patrolling. Please wait."
"I am not going to wait here. Raj, make the call to the DCP and Minister Salunke. "
The constable gets scared and immediately makes a call to the Inspector.

Ryan's father, Robert Fernandes arrives and immediately asks, "Where's my son?"
The Sub-inspector replies, "He is in the custody room. Please, you both sit, SI sir is coming in a few minutes."
"He is not a criminal that you will put him behind the bars. Bring him out. He can sit here on the bench."
SI, a middle aged man arrives and calms everyone down. He makes them sit on the chairs and instructs the constable to bring Sidharth out.

"We had no idea who he was. He was driving a taxi and we heard some serious allegations against him. We had to put him in the custody room."
Sidharth comes out and Ryan immediately hugs him. He doesn't respond to anything.
Looking at his condition, Sukhbinder gets furious.
"You touched my son-in-law? How dare you?"
"No Sir. Police have not touched him. Actually we got a call for commotion from a complex building. When we reached there we found a few men were assaulting him. We stopped them and tried to find out what happened. There was a woman crying profusely. Her clothes were torn. The people there told us that they heard her cries and came to her rescue. The woman filed a complaint that he was dropping her off at her home. He helped him with her luggage and no sooner he was in her apartment that he tried to rape her. He was hurt when we found him. We took them both to hospital and then put him in custody."

Robert says, "I don't believe a word of it. I know him very well. Ryan ke liye yeh sunta toh bhi ek baar soch leta but for Sidharth, never. The woman is lying."
Sukhbinder nods his head, "But what now?"
SI says, "As the FIR has been filled, we have to take him to court tomorrow. Try for bail then. But he has to stay here tonight."

Sidharth sits on the bench and Shehnaaz stands a little away from him. Rajvir walks towards him and says, "Baat ki uske saath?"
She shakes her head to say no.
"Why? Don't you believe him?"
Shehnaaz doesn't reply.

"Dekh Sana, court kya karega mujhe nahi malum par log usse culprit bolenge. That's the fact about society. It will be tough for him but he can survive anything if he has his family and friends with him."
Shehnaaz stares at him as he steals a glance.
"Dekh woh sirf Teri Taraf hi chup chup ke dekh raha hai. Usse sirf tujh se Matlab hai. Tu kya sochti hai uske bare mein, woh important hai uske liye. He is broken. Only you can help him stand up again. But if you think he is guilty, leave him now. Ghar chali ja abhi. We will be there to take care of him."
"I.."