Chapter 21

Shehnaaz had fallen asleep on the couch. A touch on her forehead wakes her up. She looks to her side where her father lay asleep on the bed. She rubs her eyes and sits up. She lifts her head to find him standing.
"What are you doing here?"
She asks.
"I am sorry."
"What are you doing here?"
He sits beside her, "How is he? Nurse told me the surgery was successful."
"You know then why you ask me?"

"I know you are angry and you should be. I told you I would come but I couldn't. Trust me, I was stuck in a situation.."
"Sidharth Sehgal, I don't want to know about your situation. I understand everything."
Sidharth holds her hands but she takes it away.
"Shehnaaz, just listen to me once then you can decide whether to punish me or not."
"Punish you for what?"

"I broke my promise. For that. I didn't want to. I was coming here but on the way.."
Sana again cuts her short, "I don't want to hear your excuses. I get it Sidharth Sehgal, I mean nothing to you. My father forced you to marry me. I forced you to become my friend. I forced you to come. I know you never wanted any of that. It's okay. I don't need you to stand by me. I have my brother. I don't need a fake husband. I don't need to rely on a pseudo friend."
Sidharth stands up, "Fake? Pseudo friend?"
"Yes. Now will you go or I will leave the room?"
Sidharth shakes his head, "I am leaving. You stay."

Sumitra opens the door and Sidharth enters the house, walking with a limp.
"Kahan tha tu raat bhar? Shehnaaz kept calling you, we all were trying your number. You were supposed to be at the hospital. Yeh kya halat banai hai. What happened to your feet?Will you tell me anything?"
Sidharth doesn't reply to anything and goes to his room and shuts the door. He stands in front of the mirror. His hair is messy, his shirt untucked and dirty. He unbuttons his shirt and drops it on the floor. There was swelling on his arm that had turned bluish black. He winces in pain when he touches it.

He knows Shehnaaz is angry and she should be but calling her fake was not something he had expected. He wanted to be with her and he was on the way. But what happened was something he had no control over.

Flashback.

Sidharth was in his way. He got caught up in the delivery of some items. The surgery would start sometime and there was too much traffic on the road. He really didn't know what to do. He then realised that there is a short cut. The street was not good but if he took that he could reach the hospital on time. He turned his bike and took a narrow street. His phone was vibrating. He knew it must be Shehnaaz. He decided to let it ring. He couldn't waste time now. The street was bumpy and dark with no street lights.

Suddenly someone came in front of the motorbike and he clutched the brakes tightly. As a result he lost control of the speeding vehicle and it skidded. Sidharth tried to get up but his foot was under the bike. And then he saw them, three men who surrounded him. Two of them were tall and heavily built and the other one was short and thin. The thin man had a knife in his hand that shone as light from a far away street lamp fell on it. The two tall men pulled him out from under the bike and grabbed his arms. When he tried to release himself, they punch him hard.

"Tere paas jo bhi hai, rokda, kava(mobile), ghadi, sab nikalne ka aur apun ko Dene ka."
The short man ordered.
"Leave me. Chod apan ko."
"Goliya, tere ko kuch jasti chadhgali hai re.. (you are drunk)we have caught him. How will he take out his stuff?"
One of the men holding him said and they all laughed. Sidharth could catch the smell of cheap alcohol from their breath.
"Listen, take whatever you want. Just let me go. I need to be at the hospital. Apan ka hath chod, apan sab de raha hai. Mere ko koi rada nahi chahiye.(leave my hand, I will give you everything. I don't want want any fight.)"
He tries to release himself and pulls out his wallet. There were a few hundred bucks in them. He pulled them out and then took out his old watch.