Chapter 40

Shehnaaz hugs Sumitra the moment she enters the house.
"I have missed you, Maa."
Running her hands over her hair, she replies, "Aww.. bacha Mera.. I missed you too. Kyun gai thi aise? Gussa Kam hua?"
Breaking the hug she says, "Aap ka beta hi gussa dila ta hai. Main kya karun?"
Sidharth puts the bags down and says, "Jhooti. Tera screw dheela hai. Don't blame me for everything."
"Screw dheela? You always hurt me, okay? It's always your fault."
"Hurt! Maa, isko na kuch bhi bol do toh hurt ho jati hai. She must be kept in a museum or better she should be kept for study. Unique Creation of God."

Shehnaaz makes a face, "Dekha Maa. He starts it."
Slumping on the sofa, he answers, "Maa jante hai, you started it."
"No, it's you. Always."
"No.. it's you.. pagal kahinki."
"Maa.."
"Bas dono. Chup abhi. Uff. Koi bolega tum dono ki shaadi ho gayi hai. Bacho jaise ladh rahe ho. Now c'mon shake hands like old days or you can hug each other to make it up. I am a modern mom, I won't even mind if you kiss and make up. Mun udhar kar lun?"

Sidharth raises his eyebrows and gets up. Both come closer and hug Sumitra and give her kisses on her cheeks.
"My modern mom! We made up by hugging you. Kyun Shehnu?"
Three laugh together.

Sumitra, sits in the living room with her kids, “I am so happy that you said yes to Sukhbinder bhaishaab’s offer for this job. Rajvir ki help bhi ho rahi hai aur tu apne pasand ki job kar raha hai. Tujhe main ghar pe dekh pa rahi hun. Warna pehle toh bhaagta rehta tha. I am so happy that now we get time to sit and talk.”
Sidharth sitting beside her smiles but doesn't respond.
At the very moment they hear and knock on the door. Shehnaaz gets up to open the door and finds her father standing there.

Sumitra stands up seeing him and welcomes him inside. After an exchange of greetings, both sit down.
“Sukhbinder bhai sahaab, aap sau saal jeenge. Hum sab abhi aap ki hi baat kar rahe the.”
Sukhbinder looks at her daughter, standing afar, “Mere baare mein baat? Achi baat hi hogi kyun ki meri beti mere bare mein koi buri baat nahi karegi. My daughter loves me, so she will only say good things about me. Isn’t it, Sana?”

Shehnaaz excuses herself from the place in the pretext of making tea. Sidharth follows her inside the kitchen.
“Tu thik hai?” Sidharth asks entering the room.
She turns towards him. Fuming with anger and tears in her eyes, she says, “Why is he here? Tell him to leave.”

"Sh.. they will listen. Do you want Maa to find it out like this? We have to talk to her and tell her everything. Let him leave first. Till then just keep your emotions in control. Please, no gussa. Let me make the tea. Move." Sidharth says to her.
"No. I will make it. I.. am okay.." She replies, giving out a deep breath.

They come out a few minutes with tea and snacks to find Sumitra wiping her tears.
"Maa, aap ro kyu rahi hai? Dad, aap ne kya bola Maa se? Maa?" Shehnaaz goes and sits beside Sumitra and wraps her arms around her.
Sidharth notices his mother holding something that appears to be an old diary. He sits down and waits for her to say.
"Shehnaaz bache, main thik hun. I.. am okay."
"No, Maa. You are crying because of him. Aap nahi janti.."
Sumitra cuts her short, "I know everything. Bhai sahab ne sab bataya."

Shehnaaz and Sidharth stare at each other.
" Shaadi iss tarah nahi karai jati. He was wrong to get you married like that and scare you with his lies about his health. But beta you are doing wrong too by not forgiving him. He is really sorry and ashamed that he lied ." Sumitra says.
"Maa!?"
Sumitra takes her hands into hers and says, "You know why your father is here. He has come to invite us to his house. It's your mother's death anniversary and he has organized a Puja like every year."
Shehnaaz whispers, "Mummy!"

"He told me his concern that you might not go home because of what he did. This is not the right thing to do, bache."
Sumitra gives her the diary she was holding.
Shehnaaz takes it from her hands.
“You know what this is. Your father gave me this. This is Suhana, your mother's diary."
Shehnaaz stares at Sumitra.
"She has written so much here about you and Rajvir. She has written how much she sees herself in you. And she writes about Rajvir. She tells how innocent he is and how he needs his sister to be his pillar of strength.”