Chapter 42

How's this one? Beautiful na? Oye Siduram! I am talking to you." Shehnaaz said, throwing a cushion at Sidharth who was sitting by the window with pieces of papers and calculator in his hands.
"Kya hai?" He responded.
"I was showing you something and you.. Mister, khubsurat biwi ko attention deni chahiye aur tum ho ke inn stupid bills mein uljhe ho?"
Sidharth gave out a deep breath, "Kya karun aur? Budget se bahar jara hai sab. I don't know how everything will happen."
Shehnaaz came closer, put her arms around him and said, "Ho jayega sab. Main hun na."
He clutched her hand, "I know. You have been doing the maximum expenses. I.. I am.."
"Sh.. chup. Stop it right there. Please Sidu, phir se shuru mat karo. I don't want you to spoil my mood. Hurt karna chahte ho mujhe? Bolo? Nahi na. We don't have much time left, mere liye dress choose karo."

Sidharth shook his head, "Yeh Purohit log ajeeb hain. First they said they will do the engagement then the wedding. And suddenly they want the wedding, that too in such short notice. Mujhe laga tha Shini ke jhoot se shayad yeh shadi tut jayegi but.. strangely Krish came two days later. He was all excited to marry my sister and swoop her off to Dubai. I am.. not sure of his intentions. But Shini.. and everyone.. said I was overthinking. Am I?"
"Sidu, they both love each other. Krish isiliye Shini ke jhoot ko bhool kar usse shaadi karna chahta hai. You are her brother and you are concerned but yes you are thinking too much. It's not wrong but you are overthinking."
He stared at her, "I just hope you are correct. Pata nahi kyun my gut is telling me.."
"Ab gut ko thoda aram do aur apne dimag aur dil ko kaam pe lagao. Mere par thoda attention do. Tell me which dress will look good on me."

He smiled and pulled her on his lap. He tucked the lock of hair behind her ear, "You will look good in just anything."
He gave her a peck on her shoulder.
"Anything? Toh kya shaadi mein.. hmm.. ripped jeans aur crop top pehnu, ya phir shorts, ya yeh wale hot pink pj's pehen ke jaun? Hun?" She asked, tilting her head.
He held her chin and said, "Tu toh har colour mein hot lagegi. But I don't think you should wear these to the wedding."

He placed his finger on one catalogue picture of lehengas. Smiling sheepishly he said, "This one for the wedding and for now.. how about removing this hawt pink pj's. Hun?"
He lifted her and carried her to the bed.
"Haye.. no.. abhi Kitna kaam hai.. amaa no.."
He placed her gently on the bed and rolled over her.
"Abhi Amma ko bhul ja, iss Pati par concentrate kar.. samjhi.."
Before she could say anything further he had captured her mouth with a kiss.

A decorated hall was filled with people dressed in beautiful clothes. On one end was a podium where Shini stood with her friends. She adorned a stunning red lehenga and jewelry. She was looking beautiful and happy. Sumitra was attending her guests with Sidharth and Shehnaaz. His friends were looking after the arrangements along with Rajvir who was trying his best to look normal if not happy.

The groom, dressed in a white sherwani, came in a decorated open car. There were his friends dancing to the music while his family came in the cars behind. Sidharth noticed that the group with the groom were less in number than he had anticipated. Keeping aside the negative thoughts, he went ahead to welcome them.
After an awkward welcome, the groom's party went inside. Things were normal after that as guests started mingling and eating.

Then the rituals for the wedding began with exchanges of garlands. Friends teased, jokes were cracked and in a fun atmosphere the first ritual was completed. Sidharth took a breath of relief. Everything went on smoothly until the pandit called the father of the bride to give her away as a part of kanyadaan ritual. Shini looked up at her brother and smiled. He nodded and walked up the podium with Shehnaaz to perform the duties of a parent. He smiled at her, took her hand and placed it in Krish's hand while Shehnaaz kept her hand under her husband's.

After the kanyadaan the pandit asked the couple to stand up for the phere around the sacred fire. Both stood up and started taking the rounds. After the first few ones where the groom walked ahead and bride followed, the pandit asked the bride to step ahead and groom to follow her. She took a step but she stopped as Krish was standing still. She looked back at him and he gave her a smile. The pandit asked him to walk but he stood there. Everyone looked confused, asking him what was the matter. Shini too tried to ask him if everything was alright.
He shook his head and replied that he isn't going to walk behind her. Pandit and some elders explained that's the way it's done but Krish just stood there with a grin on his face.