Chapter 24

"Ma he lied to me, to us."
"Who?"
"Uncle. He was not that sick. Everything was an act. An act that forced us into getting married."
"What do you mean? Surgery ki story jhoot thi?"
"No. Surgery happened. But it was scheduled to happen on the date it was done. Dr.Ganguly by mistake said that. I made him tell me the entire truth. The heart attack, the doctors saying he was serious and he was going to the US was all a big lie. And I don't know for sure, but I feel Rajvir is involved in this."
"I am not."
They hear and turn at the door to find Rajvir standing at the door"

"Rajvir? Bache, come inside. Sid, make him sit. Let me get something for you."
Sumitra says immediately.
Rajvir enters the room and says, "No aunty, kuch nahi chahiye. What did you say Sid? Dad lied? No. That's not possible. Why would he? He can't."
Sumitra looks at Sidharth and he says, "Raj, please sit down first. Please, I insist."

Rajvir drinks water and then asks, "Why would Dad lie about his health?"
"He wanted us to get married. Shehnaaz would have never agreed to leave Sameer and say yes to this marriage. And I had already said no to it."
"Hmm.. And you had doubts on me. Why?"

Sidharth gives out a deep breath, "I had doubts on you as you were involved the entire time. Arranging the tickets and preparing the papers for his US visit, going to Pune to meet Dr.Harvey and his doctor's appointment. "
Rajvir shook his head, "No, I wasn't. The tickets and visa were taken care of by his travel agent. His doctor's appointments were handled by his PA. He didn't involve me in anything as he said I was busy. And it was actually true, in his absence I was too engrossed with work at the office. And that day I was supposed to attend a meeting at Pune, so I was asked to give his medical file to Dr.Harvey. I didn't know, trust me I didn't."

Sidharth nods his head, "We trust you. Relax!"
Rajvir takes a moment and then asks,"How did you find out?"
"You know I am doing a project with Dr.Ganguly. I had been in several meetings with him. You remember the night I picked up Shehnaaz in Ryan's car. His driver had a heart attack that night. He was admitted to the hospital and had to be operated on immediately. I asked Dr.Ganguly about him and he started explaining to me about it. Why do we have heart attacks? When operation is needed? Stuff like that. He gave me examples and in one such example he told me that the patient didn't need surgery immediately and could live a healthy life with proper diet and medication. And by mistake he gave the name of the patient."

Rajvir sighs, "Dad!"
Sidharth nods his head, "I had my doubts on him when I came to know that he isn't going to the USA for the surgery but his doctor is coming to India. I felt strange. Why would someone seriously sick wait for the doctor to visit India when he has all the papers? And then I found the doctor who was supposed to perform the surgery is on longer doing it but someone else is. Everything was so strange."
"What happened after that?"

"Dr.Ganguly tried to change the topic but I didn't let him. Finally he told me everything. Your father was his patient for a long time. They were good friends so when he fell sick and went to hospital after his fight with Shehnaaz, he called Dr.Ganguly first. The doctor at the hospital was taken in the loop and this story of a serious heart condition was built. Dr.Ganguly involved Dr.Harvey. Dr.Ganguly was scheduled to arrive India during this time and the surgery was pre-set on this date. Rest story was woven around this."

Rajvir rubs the back of his neck, "Didn't you confront him on why did he support this lie?"
"I did. He said he was helping his friend to save his daughter from settling down with the wrong guy. Getting her married to a good suitor was the intention of Sukhbinder Suri. And he was helping his friend in this good deed."

Sumitra gets up and says, "Rajvir bache, I know it is a shocking revelation for you and for us, but I think you both should keep this between yourself. Don't tell this to Shehnaaz or talk about this to Bhai sahab. I am making tea for you."
She leaves and Sidharth nods his head.
Rajvir says, "I really believe what they did was in fact a good deed. Sana would have got married to Sameer. No, not out of love but as an act of defiance. She is stubborn. Sameer bas uske liye ek cheez tha jise Dad dene se mana kar rahe the. She had to get him anyway. I know the intention behind Dad's act was her good. You were the best choice for her. An ideal husband for any girl. But then when I think about it, I feel, was it really necessary to lie?"