Chapter 37

Sidharth sits in the office, gazing at the phone when Rajvir comes in.
"Are you expecting a call?"
He looks up and says, "No.. yes actually. Your sister was in her office last night when I last talked to her. She isn't picking up my call nor has she called me back. Pata nahi, kuch ajeeb lag raha hai. Have you talked to her?"
"No. She must have fallen asleep last night and busy in the morning. She will call back, don't worry. We need to go now. Chalein?"
Sidharth nods his head and both leave the room.

All through the day, he keeps thinking about the man she saw with the girl Tara and about Shehnaaz not picking up his phone. During lunch time, he tries her phone again. After the third time, she picks up. He asks her if everything was okay and why was she not picking up the phone. Her answers were limited and in a different tone.
"Shehnu, baat kya hai? Why are you sounding like this? Bol please."
"Sidharth yaar, bola na kuch nahi. Kal so gai thi, subha se busy thi bas. Abhi bhi ek meeting hai. I need to go. Bye."
She hangs up the phone even before he could say anything.

Sidharth encounters the similar kind of behavior from her side that night. Just yes and no answers and she hangs up explaining that she is tired. Sidharth doesn't force her as he had to pack his bags for an early flight the next morning.

Sidharth reaches home the next morning. He finds Shini at the door. She smiles first and then gets serious. Before he could ask her anything, she says, "I am going back to the hostel. Exams hai for the final semester. Pooja is waiting in the car, Jaun?"
"Best of luck. Call me after you reach. Paise hain?"
"Yes. Maa, nikal rahi hun."
She screams and leaves.
"Sid, aa gaya. Aja."
He goes inside and encounters Shehnaaz.

"Hey!"
She gives him a little smile. He wasn't expecting a grand welcome from her. Actually he was somewhere. He really hoped for a hug and a big grin on her face. He was disappointed.
"Office jaa rahi hai?"
"Hmm.. abhi aye?"
"Yes. Thoda time ruk sakti hai? I can drop you."
"No, it's fine. Driver aa gaya hai. You can rest. See you later. Bye. "
She leaves in a hurry.

Sidharth calls Shehnaaz asking her to meet for lunch but she makes excuses. She also denies his offer to be picked up while returning, stating some random reasons.

That night Sidharth returns to find Shehnaaz already asleep. He freshens up and lies down beside her. He stares at her while she lies on her side, her back facing him. After a few moments of twisting and turning on the bed, he finally sat up.
"Shehnu! Shehnaaz!"
He calls her name a few times and she ultimately replies him with a yes.
"Uth na. Baat karni hai."
"Neend aa rahi hai.. Kal baat karenge."
"No. Get up. I need to talk to you right now. Uth na.. tujhe kasam lage meri."

Shehnaaz gives out a deep breath and sits up. Sidharth stares into her eyes, looking for the answers he has been trying to ask since last night.
"What? Bolo?"
"Exactly, what?"
Shehnaaz, confused asks again.
"I want to know why you are avoiding me."
She avoids looking at him, "I am not."
"Jhoot mat bol. You are. Just tell me why?"

"Sidharth, it's late. Kal subha nikal na hai mujhe. Let me sleep."
"Haan toh so ja na. Bas bolde kya hua hai? Maine kuch kiya hai jo tu naraz hai mujhse se. Did I hurt you?"
"No.. naraz nahi hun. Bas kuch soch rahi hun."
"Kya?"
"Sach ke bare mein."
"Kaun sa sach? Kis ka sach? Are you talking about the case?"
"What? No..not at all."
"Phir Kaun si sachai?"
"Stop asking questions. I don't want to say anything right now. Please, I need to sleep. Tum agar sone nahi doge, then I will go to Shini's room."
Sidharth stares at her then shakes his head.
"Tu so ja. I will leave. "
She doesn't stop him as he gets out of the room.

Sidharth doesn't ask or try to come face-to-face with Shehnaaz the next day. That evening he returns home to find Rajvir and Sukhbinder in the living room with his mother.
"Sidharth, we were waiting for you. Rajvir told me you went to a meeting with some clients. How was it?"
"Good. They looked impressed. They will let us know in a day or two."
"Of course their answer will be positive for us. Rajvir told me how well you handled the clients in New Delhi. We got the first project because of you."
He smiles, "It was a team effort, uncle. You both sit, I will join you in some time."