Chapter 43

Rajvir came into the room and saw Shini standing by the window. He cleared his throat to inform her that he is back. She turned back and didn't react. He smiled at her and went to freshen up. They together went downstairs to have dinner with Sukhbinder.

"Raj, taste the kheer. It's delicious. Shalini beta, tum bilkul apni Maa jaisa khana bana ti ho." Sukhbinder said, eating a spoonful of the rice pudding.
"Dad, aap ko sugar hai. You shouldn't eat desserts." Rajvir said.
Shini looked at him and in a low voice said, "It's sugarfree. I made it without sugar for him."
"Meri Shalini beti mera bahut khayal rakhti hai. You shouldn't worry." Sukhbinder laughed.

Rajvir just stole a glance and continued eating.
"Shalini beta, tum kal ghar nahi gai. Sidharth bhi laut gaya. I know you didn't go as I was unwell. Now I am feeling much better. You should go home tomorrow. Raj, leh jana usse ghar kal, thik hai?"
Rajvir nodded his head and stole another glance at Shini, who lowered her head and kept eating silently.

Once back in the room, Rajvir said, "You sleep now. I will drop you home on my way to the office."
"I am not going home." She replied and went to stand by the window again.
"Why?"
"Rajvir, you promised me, you won't ask me questions."
Rajvir walked to her and said, "I remember, Shalini. Tum apne ghar jana nahi chahti. I find this strange."
Shalini turned and said, "I don't want to because I feel betrayed by them. I feel betrayed by my own brother."
Rajvir glared at her, "Betrayed?"

Shalini clenched her teeth, "Bhaiya was always against me. My wishes, my desires never mattered to him. He wanted me out of the house then why should..I go back."
Rajvir smiled, "I really believed you are smart but.. Shalini, open your eyes and see the truth. What you are experiencing right now, that rage is not because of what you believe about your brother. It is because of the rejection. It's about Krish. And sorry to say, it's stupidity. He didn't deserve you. You are suffering, wasting your time and destroying your relationship with your family because of him. Is it worth it?"

Shalini was silent.
Rajvir said, "Sidharth loves you and you know that better than me. You love him too, afterall he is your brother."
She looked at him and tears trickled down her eyes.
"Don't spoil your life holding onto grudges that are baseless. Instead concentrate on making a career, like you always wanted. Shalini, this is your life and you have to make decisions. It is on you now. Whether you want to move on in life or stay stuck in the past and blame others for it."

He turned and went to the bed. He picked up the pillow and blanket and went to the sofa. He sat there and said, "I won't ask questions. Tum se nahi koi expectations rakhunga aur nahi husband ki tarah koi haq jataunga. But as a friend, main hamesha tumhare saath rahunga aur tumhe support karunga. I have promised and I will keep my promise."

Next morning Rajvir opened his eyes and looked around. Shini was not on the bed. The bathroom door opened and Rajvir closed his eyes, pretending to be asleep. She sat in front of the mirror and started combing her hair. She wore her jewelry and applied vermilion. She was looking beautiful and Rajvir was watching her with a soft smile on his face.

She turned at him and said, "Tum uth gaye? Good morning!"
He immediately sat up and nodded, "Good morning! Main fresh ho ke ata hun."
She said, "Rajvir, can you.. can you take me home?"
He smiled, "Of course."

Rajvir and Shini reached Sidharth's home. They went in together and found Shehnaaz screaming at Rohit. Rajvir went in and asked what was going on. Shehnaaz immediately went into his arms and started sobbing. Shini went to her mother who sat with no expression on her face.
"Baat kya hai? Why are you crying? Rohit, what's wrong?"
Rohit, almost in tears, said, "Sid.. Sid.. ka body.. mila hai.. Sid.. mera bhai.."

Shini's eyes grew big and she sat down, murmuring no.
"Shut up, Rohit. Shut up! That's not Sidharth. Maa, bolo usse." Shehnaaz screamed.
Rajvir grabbed the arms of Shehnaaz and asked, "Sana, mujhe please thik se bolegi kya hua hai? Where's Sidharth?"
Shehnaaz stared at him, "I don't know. I.. he is missing.. "