Chapter 45

They were on their way home. Shehnaaz leaned on to the seat with her legs on his lap.
"Do we really need to go back home? Can't we stay here for a few more days?" She asked.
He smiled, "The Singapore clients will be coming tomorrow. Ryan had gone there, I have only talked to them over the phone. This meeting is vital. Bahut bada order hai yeh. We will have a vacation soon, I promise."
She put her feet down and came closer, "You will get busy again. Mujhe tum se baat karne ko nahi milega. Tum kyun itna kaam kar te ho? Things were so good before, why did you start the business?"

His face turned serious, "Things weren't good before, Shehnu. They weren't. I have to work hard. I have to become successful. So that no one will.."
He placed his palm on her cheek, "Don't worry, no matter how busy I will be, I will make time for you, for us. It's Sidharth Sehgal's promise."
"Sidharth Sehgal ka nahi, Siduraam ka promise chahiye. Do ge kya?"
He smiled, kissed her head and said, "Sidu apni Shehnu se promise karta hai, woh kaam se pehle apni biwi ko rakhega, usse time dega, uski badbad sunega. Happy?"

Before she could react, his phone rang. Sidharth stopped his jeep by the side of the road and picked it up.
"Yes uncle."
Robert, Ryan's father from the other side, said, "Sidharth beta, where are you? Have you returned?"
"I am on my way. Kya hua hai? Is everything alright?" Sidharth asked.
Robert replied, "Ryan. He has gone crazy. He wants to invest in some night club. Kis se mila tha do din pehle aur mujhe bol raha hai ke usse yeh karna hai. I didn't like the idea and said no. He had left home and Rohan brought him back. Now he has shut himself up. He will listen only to you. Talk to him."

"Uncle, of course. I will be there in some time. Let me just drop Shehnaaz home."
Sidharth immediately heard a loud crash and Robert said, "Ryan, stop it! Sidharth, come immediately. This boy.. Shehnaaz ko le aao, usse baad mein chod dena. I need you here."
He hung up the phone and Shehnaaz asked what happened.
Sidharth replied, "Ryan ka pagalpan beech beech mein nikalta hai. Robert uncle aur uske beech koi jhagda hota hai aur mujhe usse thik karna padta hai. He sounded serious, I need to go. Is it okay if we go there first?"
"Of course."

They reached Ryan's home and pressed the bell. The door opened and it was dark. As soon as they stepped inside, the lights turned on.
They heard, "Happy Anniversary!"
They saw the hall was decorated and there were known faces standing in the room with smiles on their faces. His three friends, Jaanvi, Shini, Rajvir, Sumitra, Robert, Shehnaaz's friends and a few other guests were among them.

Sidharth and Shehnaaz took blessings from Sumitra and hugged others. They went to the backyard where the actual party was organized. The waiters brought out a big cake which they cut together and fed everyone. There was a live band playing. The waiters moved around with drinks and appetizers. Sidharth and Shehnaaz roamed around talking with people, accepting their wishes.

After the dinner was served, guests started leaving. There were just their friends and family left.
Sidharth then showed his certificate to Sumitra who beamed with misty eyes.
He said with a grin, "I have my degree. I am a graduate."
Sumitra touched Shehnaaz's head, blessing her for giving him what he had wanted for such a long time. He finally got what was wrongfully deprived from him.

They moved inside and were waiting for Sukhbinder who was supposed to join them. He had returned from Singapore but was yet to arrive there. Rajvir and she were trying his phone but he wasn't picking it up. Sidharth sat in the family room watching match with his friends and Rajvir while Shehnaaz, Shini and Jaanvi sat with Sumitra and Robert in the living space

Sukhbinder finally arrived half an hour later. Shehnaaz stood up, smiled and went to give them a hug. Robert asked him to come in and sit. But he didn't sit down, instead he started looking around.

Shehnaaz said, "Aap late hain. You were not picking up our calls. I thought you weren't coming. Kise dhund rahe hain? Sidharth aur Raj ko? They are in the family room. Sidharth, Raj, come here, Dad has arrived."
Sukhbinder said, "I wasn't sure myself that I would come or not. But then I decided, I must."
Shehnaaz was surprised, "Why? Kyu nahi aana chahte the? Kuch kaam tha?"
Rajvir reached first and immediately said, "Dad! Please, not today."
Sukhbinder shook his head, "It has been months now. I have been silent. But after what I learnt today, I don't think so. How could I stay silent anymore?"