Chapter 23

Sidharth sits at a bench overlooking the vast sea. He needed to get out of the house before he would say more. He has found out something recently. And he is not sure what he should do. He can't confront anyone. He can't share it with her. He is left with one option that is to stay silent.

"Dad, I am doing the right thing, isn't it? I feel cheated. But I can't talk about this with anyone. And Shehnu? How will she react when she finds out? I can't let her get hurt again. Things are getting normal and if I open my mouth, they could become messy. I don't want that. I know this lie was for a reason. Still, it's a lie. Right?"
He asks the sky above him, hoping to get an answer.
"I am doing the right thing, isn't it?"
He asks again.

Sidharth returns home in the early hours of the morning and finds Sana dozing on the bed. She is not laying down but sitting on the bed and resting her head on the pillows over her lap.
He lightly touches her shoulder to wake her up. She lifts her head and looks up. Her eyes fill with water instantly. She stands up and starts hitting him.

"Where were you?"
"Arey yaar maar kyun rahi ho? Stop it Shehnaaz. Stop."
"Tumhe aur marungi. Kahan the tum? Kahan?"
Sidharth grabs her wrist to stop her.
"Enough now! Stop it, okay."
Sana gazes into his eyes, suppressing her cries, she says,
"I was worried for you when you didn't return. You didn't take your phone. I couldn't go to Ma. I couldn't reach your friends. I was worried for you. And here you are.. scolding me.."
Tears flow out of her eyes and Sidharth immediately releases her wrists.

He cups her face and wipes the tears,
"Hey! I am not scolding you. You were hitting me."
"I was.. angry. That's why.. Why did you go like that?"
She starts sobbing again. Sidharth pulls her into his arms and starts rubbing his back.
"I am sorry for everything. I was upset so I wanted to stay alone. I do that often. I didn't think you would be worried for me."
Sana lifts her head to see him, "Why? Why didn't you think I would be worried for you? You are my friend, my family, my husband."
"Oh! Am I?"
"Haye! Tumhe kya kuch pata nahi?"

A smile appears on his face, "Shehnu, you are really.."
"Shehnu? Is this slip of tongue or are you really calling me by that name?"
Sidharth cups her face and kisses her forehead.
"Will you join the office tomorrow?"
Sana nods her head.
"Good. So you need to sleep now. We both have only a few hours for that.."

"I could not sleep as you were not here. I missed my.."
"Pillow? I have become one for you or so to say my arm."
Sana smiles, "You didn't say, was.."
"Shehnu, sone chale?"
Her face breaks into a grin and she wraps her arms around him.
"Okay Siduram."
"Hey, I called you Shehnu. You're supposed to call me Sidu. Why Siduram?"
"Mujhe pasand hai, isiliye. It sounds cute just like you. Mere Siduram."
Sidharth shakes his head and walks towards the bed with her. And in his mind the words ring, Mere Siduram.

Sidharth enters the house in the afternoon and finds Shini on the couch talking with his mother. She comes and gives him a hug.
"Hey! Tu kab aai?"
"Kuch time pehle. How come you're here at this time?"
"I have left my papers. I have a meeting for my freelance work. I missed you, kiddo."
Shini smiles, "Aww.. really? You missed your Cruella Devil sister?"
Sidharth raises his eyebrows, "You really know yourself too well."
"Hau, bhaiya! I am not talking to you. I'm hurt."
"Ma, isse Shehnaaz se dur rakho. She is getting hurt on everything like her."
He laughs and pulls her closer into his embrace.

Sidharth drinks water from the bottle when his phone vibrates.
"Hi gadhi! What's up!"
"Shut up ullu! Where are you?"
"Jahannum ke darwaze pe.."
"Joke tha?"
"Nahi. Like literally. The club's name is Hell's Gate. You must remember. Tu toh aati thi apne stupid friends and with that incredibly useless boyfriend ke saath."
Sana stays silent.

" Hurt ho gai kya?"
"Mujhe na tere se baat hi nahi karni chahiye thi."
"Tere ko gussa kis cheez ka aya, tere friends ko stupid bola isliye ya phir tere boyfriend ko useless bola isliye?"
"Sidharth, tu chup kar ja abhi. I am not liking this. Kya boyfriend laga ke rakhi hai."
"O-k-a-y...sorry. Now tell me why did you call?"
"Kuch nahi. I am hanging up the call. "
"Arey Shehnu, sorry bola na. Kyun Khali pili dimag ki dahi kar reli hai?"
"Dimag ki dahi bhi banti hai? Why? How?"
Sidharth burst into laughter.