Chapter 38

Shehnaaz laughs.
"Good boy? Yes. Sidharth Sehgal is a good boy whom you changed into a liar just like yourself."
"Sana.."
"Aap ne Sidharth ko bola mujhse shaadi kare. Aap ne usse bola aap ki acting mein saath de. Usse mujh se chupaya. He did everything that you said to him because he is an obedient good boy. But I am not. So you aren't going to tell me what I should do nor I am going to listen to you. I will stay here in my mother's house."
She walks up to the door, "So please leave and tell your son-in-law to let me stay alone. I am not sure I will go back to him. Just go now.."
She opens the door and finds Sidharth standing there.

They stand there for a moment, their eyes locked into each other. He lowers his head and turns to go away. Sukhbinder follows him outside, trying to stop him by calling his name.
"Stop, Beta! Listen to me."
"There's nothing to listen to, uncle. I just heard everything. I shouldn't have come here. I.. shouldn't.."
"Please, ek baar baat sun lo. Beta, Sana gusse mein hain. That's why she said those things."
"She isn't wrong. I did as you asked. I hid the truth."
"Sidharth, just give her some time. She will understand everything and go back to you."
"You know her. She is too stubborn. What if she doesn't return home? This is what I meant. Marriages are not built on lies."
Sukhbinder takes a moment and replies, "I will ensure she goes back. I will do it. I will find a way to do it."

Sidharth smiles, "You never get it, don't you?"
Sukhbinder asks what he meant.
"You made her marry me. That lie has brought us here to this place that we all are standing today. You have no remorse. And you want to do something again."
"What else do you expect from me? Leave her here and return home."
"You wanted her away from Sameer. That was the goal behind all those lies. She will never go back to him. So leave her alone."
"Pagal ho gaye ho? How Can I let her live here? She is married. She must live with her husband or else people will talk rubbish. I have a reputation. I can't allow anything to hamper it."

"So, what will you do? Koi Naya drama karenge ya phir emotionally blackmailing? Uncle, let her be here. She doesn't want to go back. You can't force her to. At least not for the reasons you just gave. People will talk, that's what they do. Didn't they talk when you married her to a pauper like me?"
Sukhbinder tries to say something but Sidharth doesn't allow him to.
"It's her life and she has all the rights to make decisions. If she wants to live here, away from me then I will honor her wishes. I will leave right now and you won't stop me."
He is about to leave but stops.
"One more thing, you won't force her to return home. It will be her decision entirely, when or if she returns."
He looks at her, standing behind Sukhbinder with misty eyes. He doesn't say anything to her and turns to leave.

Sukhbinder looks back at her daughter standing by the door.
"Sana, you are making a big mistake here."
Shehnaaz stays quiet.
"Sidharth ko chod na galti hai. Heera hai woh. Open your eyes before it's too late."
He turns and leaves the house.

Sidharth sits on the bench by the sea. He gazes blankly at the darkness ahead. His insides are filled with the same hollow darkness that's eating him up, slowly. He doesn't understand what he should do. Cry at losing the love he had always waited for or scream at his helpness of not doing anything as his love got lost or laugh at the joke his fate had played on him.

"Dad! Can you hear me? I am feeling lost today. It's a similar kind of feeling. The one I felt when they took your factory and our car and everything. I stood there helpless. Today I stood at her door, unable to say anything. Once more I felt so helpless. I really don't know what I should do. Galti ki hai maine, baat chupai usse. Par chupai bhi toh sirf uske liye. Pyar karta hun, taklif mein nahi dekhna chahta tha. Pata hai galti ki hai, baat chupai usse, par chupai bhi toh sirf.. toh.. sirf..."
He stops after realizing that he was repeating himself. He did that often when he was stressed or worried.
"Dad, tell me what to do? I said it was okay, she can stay away from me. But the truth is that I can't live without her. I love her. I truly do. Kaise rahunga uske bina? Kya mujh se har koi issi tarah dur chala jayega? Pehle aap aur abhi.. no.. please Dad, kuch boliye. Help me what should I do? What?"