⚾︎| chapter three

KELANI PARKER
hey you! don't be a silent reader:)

"Hey, miss," My attention goes completely to the driver whose eyes were on me through the rear-view mirror. 

I hum in response placing the cigarette between my glossed lips. I don't smoke on the daily, only when I'm nervous as hell. I inhaled feeling the nicotine burn the back of my throat.

"You can't smoke in here." His accent was thick, it wasn't a New York accent but a country accent. The car comes to a complete stop, and I unbuckle my seat belt.

"You don't smoke on your own time?" I point to the ashtray that was in his cupholder and let out my cigarette. I give him a devious smirk before I reach into my bra to pull out a 20. I felt generous.

I open the car door and step out carefully because I'm wearing a skirt and I'm not about to flash someone.

I think I was a bit rude I have to admit, but you can't tell me not to smoke somewhere if you smoke in the same place.

I grab my small travel sized perfume and spray it all over me, I inhale the sweet smell of vanilla. I can't meet my new dorm roommate and smell like cigarettes.

I walk into a very nice modern looking building, which was the building my dorm was in. I look around and a smell of fresh ground coffee fills the air.

Let me tell you that this dorm building is much nicer than Yark's. There were no flickering lights and as a matter of fact this place has a fucking pool that you will see me in pretty soon.

I fidget with my keys and take the elevator up to my dorm room. I walk up to dorm 21 and flatten out my plaid skirt, my black tight shirt and adjust my pearl necklace. 

My style was always considered weird or unusual at Yark. Especially to Blake, if it bothered him so much, I don't know why he didn't leave.

I knock three times and immediately regret it. I have a fucking key.

I open dorm room 21 and head inside feeling completely stupid. I clear my throat examining the living room and kitchen. There's a kitchen and living room that's nothing but big.

I head to the room that's wide open and has just one small bed that I will be getting rid of.

"No fucking way!" Someone behind me yells and it scares the absolute shit out of me. My purse gets out of my reach and lands onto the ground spilling out everything.

Oh coco.

She and I bend down to pick it up, "You scared the shit out of me-" I try to finish but my eyes fall to the pack of Dunhill cigarettes I just used. "For the love of God." I mutter to myself.

She lets out a small laugh, and I slowly get up from bending down examining her outfit and it's crazy how similar our taste is. "Smoking kills you." She tilts her head to the side and her blonde hair follows.

"But I prefer Marlboro." She crosses her arms and I manage to let out a laugh. 

"If I knew you were my roommate I probably wouldn't have smoked today." I tell her putting my purse on the marble white counter that looks squeaky clean. "I quit a while ago, but I just needed it today."

She smirks at me, "Never would've thought the Kelani Parker smoked," She said sarcastically, "I'm kidding." 

I was never addicted to smoking. I really couldn't be, there was no reason. I found that I only did it when I was nervous or had anxiety. When the nicotine hit the back of my throat it felt like a hole was filled. A hole that was never filled to begin with.