⚾︎| chapter five

CHRISTIAN IRWIN
hey you! don't be a silent reader:)

"It's a date then."

She's a bold one. A girl that has no shame in what she does, a girl that gives zero fucks. Though, something tells me she wasn't always like this.

I feel a tap on my left shoulder, and I look up and meet the same blue eyes that make my breathing slow down, every single time. "You look sad." Is her way of greeting me.

"Never sad," I tell her.

She slides into the booth and scans the diner, "Did you order yet?" She asks me picking up a nearby menu.

I nod, "I did."

I examine her outfit with an amused expression. "When I said it's a date you weren't supposed to wear sweatpants." I tease, and she looks down at what she's wearing.

"I prefer comfort over fashion, thank you very much for your nice comment, though." She gives me a wink before looking down at the menu.

"I didn't come here for milkshakes." She informs me, as she pulls her sweatshirt sleeves down. "I want food."

I lean farther back and laugh at her honesty, "Neither did I."

She puts down the menu and tilts her head to the side, "Serious, serious question. So be completely honest with me." She starts off, "Do you like strawberry milkshakes? Because if you don't..." She lets out a breath and shrugs, "This isn't going to work."

I chuckled at her comment, "I thought it was really serious." And she kicked me under the table with her foot, "It was serious." She defends as I wince because of the pain.

"I do like strawberry milkshakes, and even if I didn't, I would make this work somehow."

Her eyes widened a bit, you really couldn't tell. You'd have to be paying really close attention to her to notice, and that's just what I was doing. Paying attention to her.

I smirk at her. "It's a good thing I ordered two strawberry milkshakes, yeah?" I say as I watch our waitress set down two glasses on our table. Her face looked completely dumbfounded, "What if I didn't like strawberry milkshakes, or better yet, what if I was allergic."

I folded my arms, "Then, I'd call over the waitress and get you a vanilla milkshake as well as a chocolate milkshake." I told her.

She lets out a breath and sips on her milkshake, "You are a bold one."

"Coming from the one who called this a date."

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head, "You said 'whatever you want to call it' did you not?" She says with an attitude.

I laugh again, she never fails to make me laugh. "Hey, you showed up." I shrugged my shoulders. "Sunshine, you had a choice to show up or not, so why did you?"

"Easy," She leans into her seat. "I was starving, and I was not about to eat pineapple on pizza, and anyway, I wanted a milkshake as well." She says, popping the cherry into her mouth.

Our waitress walks back up to our table and takes our orders, then walks back to the counter, "So tell me, Kelani Parker. What are you doing in New York?" I asked her, but it came out completely rude and disrespectful.

She places her hands on her heart, "Ouch, Christian. That one really hurt." She says sarcastically. "I didn't mean it like that..." I tell her, and she gives me a warm smile with dimples. These fucking dimples.

"I'm kidding," she says, sipping on her milkshake. "I broke up with Blake and wanted to come back home." She tells me and I soak that all in.

It was silent, I was debating whether or not to ask her another question, "Something tells me that problem you were telling me about on the rooftop, is about a person. Am I wrong?" I finally ask.