⚾︎| chapter thirty nine

CHRISTIAN IRWIN
hey, you! don't be a silent reader:)

The second I stepped foot in that restaurant, I smelled the perfume. The familiar perfume consumed me. She was there, Kelani was turned around fiddling with her heels.

Her and heels do not get along.

The questions came flooding in, the same questions I asked myself earlier.

Was she ready to see me?

Will she even make eye contact with me?

Will she talk to me?

"Yall are sitting together, Chris. Control yourself." He whispers, "Coco and I had the seating arrangements picked out before..." He points at Kelani and me. "This happened."

I whisper back at him. "Trust me, I know, Dallas." I laugh at his comment as he opens the door to the private room, Control myself?

As soon as he opened that door and I laughed, her head whipped around so fast.

We locked eyes immediately; And I prayed my hair looks less messy. Her blue eyes still manage to sparkle no matter what she goes through, she still has her spark, like always. She looked so perfect, no matter what.

She's like the moon, still managing to shine even when her whole world is dark.

I gave her a small smile, to let her know there's no bad blood and there's no way I'll hate her over something she did for herself.

These few days I've been reflecting on my actions, I was selfish. So completely selfish to the point where I almost asked her to deny that offer. I felt so pathetic and stupid when those words almost slipped out or even thought about it.

FLASHBACK The day Kelani and Chris broke up
»»———-  ———-««

"Long distance." Was her only answer. I cover my face with my hands, don't say it Christian. Don't be fucking selfish.

"You see, but I can't do that. I have to be with you. Don't you think I want to see you." I told her honestly. Long distance is hard, I don't think I can do it.

She furrows her eyebrows and scoffs. "How could you be so selfish, Christian?" She snapped back at me. "I get you have many offers coming your way, but this is my only offer." She catches her breath, and a few tears slip out.

Fuck, Kelani.

I was being selfish once again.

"Lani, I'm-"

"And fuck, if you can't do that then maybe... we should take a break." She chokes out, I stepped closer to her. "Because I want to do this, I can't let someone get in the way." She backs up a bit.

She looks away from me. I gently grab her chin to face me, her blue eyes now don't sparkle like they usually do, they look so dull and hurt fills her eyes now. "Kelani, no don't please. I didn't mean it like that." I beg. "I'll move to Texas with you, I'll go to school there. I'll play for the Astros."

My mood changed so fast. I was willing to do anything to make her stay, I'll admit I deserved to be put in my place for being too selfish. Was this the only way I can learn?

"If you really love me, you'd do what I'm asking." I look at her, "Please, Christian." she begged and all I can think about now is hugging her, I pulled her in, and she buried her head into my chest.

I didn't let go; I don't think I could. It was impossible.

"Let me go." She sobs as she tries to get out of my reach. "You have to let me go." I kiss the top of her head and slowly let go of her slowly and I turn around with the sound of my heels echoing in the dark hallway.