Chapter Fifteen

"Eddie!" I shriek, jumping into Eddie's arms. "Six months is too long to be away from you." I whisper in his ear.

"I agree." Eddie chuckles in my ear, kissing my temple. "Excited for the Oscars?"

"Terrified!" I shout, Eddie putting me back in the ground. "I'm nervous to perform. But we'll talk in the car, or tomorrow, I should get you back home."

I lead him out to my car and he puts his bags in, smiling at me. Just as I'm about to get in, Eddie pulls me back, pins me against the car, and presses his lips against mine.

"Whoa." I say when he pulls away. "Kiss me like that more often."

"Gladly." Eddie smirks, pecking my lips once more before getting in the car with me.

I drove home, talking about my nervousness for tomorrow. I wasn't nervous at all for Les Miz, it was all for my Whitney tribute. But of course, I couldn't tell him that.

When we got back to my house, we immediately curled up next to each other in bed. I laid my head on his chest, my arms wrapped tightly around his waist. "I love you."

"I love you too." Eddie whispers back, kissing my forehead once more before we both fall asleep.

The next day

I wake up full of energy, but contain myself slightly because Eddie must be exhausted after his flight.

I go downstairs and eat breakfast, waiting for Eddie to wake up so we can go to rehearsals. The Oscars are tomorrow so the Les Miz company is having rehearsals today at the theater. From what I've heard, our blocking isn't that hard for One Day More when it gets staged, so it should be easy. And after that, I have a dress rehearsal for my Whitney tribute. And tonight, I have a show. So I'm busy today.

I eventually have to wake Eddie up so we can leave, but he doesn't seem to protest.

I put on sweatpants, a tank top, toms, and put my hair in a messy bun. I veto makeup, but I usually don't wear makeup unless I have to.

"You're beautiful, Ali." Eddie tells me as I walk downstairs.

"Thank you, Eddie." I say back, blushing. "Come on, we have to go."

I drive him to the theater, knowing exactly where I'm going because I've been here twenty times in the past week.

"How do you know where you're going?" Eddie asks as I park.

"I've been here before." I lie, immediately feeling guilty.

I lead him inside and tithe stage where Sam, Aaron, Anne, Hugh, Russell, Sacha, and Helena are all sitting and talking.

"Are we late or something?" I ask, walking up the stairs to the stage and sitting beside Sam, Eddie on my other side.

"No, we just got here really early." Hugh says.

"Can I ask everyone here a question?" Anne announces, we all nod. "Why is there a huge ball gown over there in the wings?" Sam asks, pointing to my dress. Panic sweeps across my face for a second before I realize that's not a good idea.

"No clue. But that's weird." Sacha says.

"Maybe it's a surprise performance." Russell adds, making everyone laugh.

"Alice." Eddie whispers to me. "You okay? You're acting weird."

"Ya!" I say, louder than expected. "I'm fine. Like I told you last night, just getting nervous so-"

"Hello children!" Tom shouts, walking in with Cameron Mackintosh behind him. "Get ready to rehearse."

We all stand and do as Cameron tells us, finding that the staging is incredibly easy. We run the whole thing, with the exception of the ensemble doing backups at the end.

We get a ten minutes break when we have twenty minutes left of rehearsal, and then we'll run it two more times. Then we can go. Well, I can't. Everyone is going to lunch without me. My claim is that I have a meeting with my manager. Which is slightly true but slightly not.

I sit with Eddie, Sam, and Aaron at break, doing weird and random vocal warmups. But not really warming up, just laughing at each other.

When suddenly, the door opens. And in walks Jessa and Jason. I silently curse.

"Hey, Alice, isn't that your manager?" Eddie says.

"Uh, ya." I say shortly, pushing myself off the stage.

I run over to then, everyone clearly watching me. "Oh hey Alice." Jason says.

"I'm still rehearsing for Les Miz." I whisper, glancing at my cast mates.

"Well damn." Jessa whispers back.

"So just go backstage until I'm done. We'll be done in like twenty minutes." I say, pointing them to the wings.

"You haven't told anyone, right?" Jason says as they walk away.

"No, of course not." They run backstage as I sit back next to Eddie, sinking into his embrace.

"What was that about?" Tom asks me.

"Nothing."

Everyone seems to drop the subject for the rest of rehearsal, so we run the song two more times before everyone starts leaving. No one questions why I hang around and don't leave, but Jason and Jessa come back out.

"Okay." Jessa hands me the dress. "Go change."

I go into the wings and change into the dress, it fitting perfectly. I go back on stage and stand in front of the microphone, the music kicking in.

I rush through the songs twice and then change out of my clothes. I run out of the theater and into my car, speeding to get to the restaurant everyone else was at. Luckily they had just sat and didn't order yet.

Breathlessly, I sat down next to Eddie, putting on a smile. After we order drinks and food, Sam speaks up.

"What do you think is up with that dress? And the surprise appearance from your manager and that other guy." Sam says.

"That other guy," Anne says. "Was Whitney Houston's manager."

"Maybe the Oscars are honoring the five year anniversary of Whitney's death with a surprise performance." Hugh says.

"Doubtful." I say, leaning into Eddie's embrace. "I'm Whitney's biggest fan, but I would hate it if they did that." Hopefully they buy my lie.