Chapter Forty

I throw my head back in relief, finally done with the worst experience of my life. I just pushed a human being out of my body. I'm exhausted times twenty.

I'm still clutching Eddie's hand and trying to catch my breath, sweat dripping down my forehead. "God, that sucked." I mumble, making Eddie laugh.

"You did great." Eddie says, pushing my side bangs out of my eyes. "I'm so proud of you. I love you."

"I love you too."

I lay in bed for a couple minutes, breathing heavily. Eddie keeps kissing me, telling me he loves me and he's proud. I just want to see Angelina.

My prayers are answered when a nurse walks in with Angel, swaddled in a pink blanket. "Congrats. She's completely healthy."

I sit up slowly, still extremely sore. The nurse places her in my arms, smiling at Eddie and I.

I look down at Angelina, sleeping soundly. I reach a finger out and stroke her cheek, making her move a tiny bit. Angel squirms in my arms for a second, but then settles down and let's out a cute yawn.

I laugh, though my eyes are filling up with tears. Angel reaches her arms forward, opening her hands and closing them. Eddie quickly slides in beside me on the bed and wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer.

"Hi." I whisper to Angelina.

Her eyelids flutter open, and her green eyes immediately lock with him. Eddie reaches forward and Angel clasps her tiny hand around his finger, holding it close to her chest.

"She's precious." Eddie whispers.

"She's beautiful." I say, still staring down at Angel.

"Do you want anyone to come in?" Eddie asks.

"Not yet." I whisper. "But I wanna call my mom."

"Okay, I'll be right back." Eddie whispers, getting out of the hospital bed and going outside to grab my phone from Carol.

The second Eddie gets up, Angel starts to whine at my slight change of position. "Oh no, baby." I whisper, running my thumb put and down her cheek. "Mommy's right here. Daddy'll be right back."

When Eddie comes back, he hands me my phone and then takes Angel from me, holding her close to his chest. He sits back beside me and pulls me closer.

I quickly, with my shaky hands, dial my moms number into my phone. "Hola Alice! Cómo estás?" She says happily into the phone.

"Mamá , yo tenía el bebé." I say, my eyes filling with tears again. I look over at Angel who has gripped Eddie's finger again. I lay my head on his shoulder.

"What?!" She shouts.

"Shh, she's sleeping." I whisper to her.

"We're on our way." And then she hangs up.

"I expected a little bit more than that." I say softly, laughing.

Angel starts to get a little uneasy in Eddie's arms, squirming around. But he manages to calm her down, proving my theory that he's an amazing father.

I smile at them, leaning down into my bed. I lay my head next to Eddie stomach, wrapping my arms around his waist. Closing my eyes, I fall into a deep sleep that can only be waken by the cries of Angelina.

I'm not her how long I was asleep, but I was woken by voices all around me. I could tell they were trying to be quiet, but there's no way to be quiet when there's a new baby around.

My eyelids slowly flutter open to find Sam, Aaron, Summer, and George talking quietly to Eddie. I slowly push myself to a sitting position, rubbing my eyes.

"Hi." I say, my voice groggy.

"Crap, we didn't mean to wake you Alice." Summer says.

"No, it's okay." I give off a tired smile, looking at Eddie who has Angel in his arms.

And in this moment, I know that my life is complete. After all the hardships in my life, I've finally come to this. Married and with my first child. And I can't wait to raise Angelina, and grow old with Eddie.