Chapter Sixteen

"Kate! Come in!" I say, inviting my stylist into the house to get ready for the Oscars.

"Wow." Kate says as I lead her into the living room. "Eddie is doing the same thing he was when I last saw him. Watching a movie about Stephen Hawking and reading a book about Stephen Hawking."

"Shh!" Eddie hushes us, not caring that Kate is pretty much making fun of him.

I set up a chair right behind the couch and Kate starts on my hair. This time, we decided on doing a beautiful, curly, braided updo. It takes close to an hour to finish it, but she finally does.

She uses almost an entire bottle of hairspray just to ensure its safety and to make sure it won't fall out or get messed up.

"I'm gonna be in the shower for hours and hours trying to get this hairspray out." I say, touching my almost rock solid hair.

"Come on, time for the dress." Kate says.

"Are you ready?" I ask Eddie.

"Ya. I just need you to do my hair after you're done." He says, turning to look at me.

"Okay." I kiss his cheek. "I'm gonna go do makeup and get in my dress." He nods, turning back to his movie.

Kate and I go into the bathroom and she helps me into my dress. "Damn, stop being so skinny."

"I'm sorry!" I say, giggling at her. I slip my white heels onto my feet.

"What kind of makeup do you want?" Kate asks.

"Natural, like always. Nude lip, maybe. Just make my eyes really pop." Kate nods, immediately starting on my makeup.

When she's done, I look perfect. I grab my white clutch and walk out the bathroom, to where Eddie was leaning against the door frame of the front door.

"You always take my breath away, Alice." Eddie says, walking over to me. I say goodbye to Kate and get ready to leave with Eddie.

The entire ride there, I tap my feet against the floor in nervousness. "Alice, why are you so nervous?"

"It's the Oscars! How can I not be?" I say, still tapping my feet.

"You'll be fine, dear. You're amazing." Eddie reassures, kissing my forehead.

We get out of the car and go onto the red carpet, making me feel even more nervous. I can already feel my feet shaking.

I see a few people on the carpet and wave, but my nerves were taking me over. Eddie and I walk up to do an interview.

"I just have one quick question for you Alice." The person said. "There are rumors of you performing tonight. Are they true?"

"Ya I am." I say. "I'm performing with my cast from the Les Misérables movie."

"But are you performing a solo?" He said.

"No. I'm so nervous just to perform with my cast. I'd never be able to pull off a solo." I say as convincingly as possible.

"Thank you." I quickly pull Eddie away and to another interview. We go on for another half hour doing interviews until we're finally done and in the theater.

We get to our seats to see the we were sitting with our cast. I hug a couple people, then sitting down on the end with Eddie beside me.

The night goes on dreadfully slow. I'm trying to go over the words to my song in my head, but I can't remember. Holy crap. I'm totally gonna mess this up. Big time.

I'm so eaten up by my thoughts that I totally forget to go backstage to get ready. Five minutes later, a stage hand runs over at the commercial break, catching the attention of everyone sitting near me.