Chapter Twenty-Nine

The second I get to America, I drive right to the hospital. There really is no way for me to prepare to see my grandma, so I'll just have to face it. I quickly text Eddie that I landed and I'll call him soon. And that's when I realize that this week will be my first day off in two years straight. But I'll be working Wednesday through Friday.

I take a deep breath and step out of my car, heading into the hospital. "Hello." I say to the secretary. "Where is Fran Greene's room?"

"She is on the third floor, room 24601." Hmm, that's convenient. The Les Miz quotes fill my head, but this is not the time.

"Thank you." I say softly, walking away.

It sure is cold in this hospital. I was wearing denim shorts, a black tee shirt, but had a sweatshirt pulled over my body. My legs will be frozen in an hour.

I decide to take the stairs instead of the elevator, because I have a better chance at not getting recognized by a stranger. Not that I actually know anyone here.

When I wandered my way towards her room, Justin and Santana were sitting on a couch across from her room. "Alison." Justin gasps. Santana immediately jumps up and hugs me.

"Why are you here?" She cries into my shoulder.

"I had to come see her." I say back, pulling away. "Is she awake?"

"Ya." Justin says shortly.

"Why are you guys all sad?" I ask. "Mom said Grandma is doing better."

"Just go see her." Santana says.

Taking a deep breath, I push open the door. Grandma was sitting up in bed, laughing at whatever crap she was watching on TV. There were also at least five trays of untouched food next to her.

Grandma didn't turn when I came in, but in sure she heard. I'm guessing she assumed it was just another nurse.

"Grandma?" I say softly, making her head snap towards me. "Hi."

"Oh, Alison." She gasps, waving me over.

I sit on the chair next to her bed and smile, holding in my tears. She looks better than I imagined, not as sick as mom and dad described her to be.

"How are you feeling?" I choke out.

"I'm perfectly fine." She insists, squeezing my hand gently.

"It doesn't look like you've been eating." I say, looking at the untouched food.

"This hospital food is crap." She mumbles. "What about you? How are you feeling?"

"I'm good." I smile. "I'm engaged."

"Oh, I know. Your fiancé stopped by a while ago." She smirks at me.

"What? He did?" I ask, confused.

"Yes. He's quite charming." She smirks, making me laugh. "He asked me for your hand in marriage. Your father was here as well."

"That was sweet." I blush.

"He is." She pauses. "I saw you in Les Miz. You're amazing."

"Thanks Grandma." I say. "Do you need anything?"

"I hear you're in a new movie." She says.

"Ya, I'm in the new Phantom of the Opera movie." I reply, squeezing her hand.

"Sing me something." Grandma says quickly.

"Uh, okay." I open my mouth and softly sing Think of Me, watching as it lulls her to sleep.

After I know she's unconscious, I stand back up. I walk out of the room to where my siblings are and sit between them.

"We're gonna head home soon. Wanna come?" Justin says.

"Ya. But I have a car. I'll drive." But in reality, I'm driving to the city. I have business tomorrow.

After an hour, I'm back at my house. I decided not to sell it, but most of my stuff is at Eddie's now. The house was eerily silent, but I haven't been here in months.

The next day passes quickly. I just spend the day at the hospital with my family and Grandma.

As Wednesday comes around, I head to the studio. I meet with Jessa, who tells me to be brave.

I decided that it was about time I let the world know I cut myself. I'm doing a photoshoot today and an interview for the story with the magazine tomorrow.

I am directed to makeup, and I start immediately. I change into a black tee shirt, jeans, black sandals, and I'm told to put my glasses on. They put my hair in natural looking waves and do natural makeup, which I'm happy for.

I go to the studio and start listening for directions. Another makeup artist comes by and takes the makeup off my wrist. But then he puts a little more on the cuts and scars to make them pop and make them even more obviously.

So for the next five hours, I do a photoshoot. The main focus is my face and my wrist, so everything is pretty weird.

The next day, I do an interview that confesses all the angles of why and how I cut myself. It was pretty emotional. I would lie if I said I didn't cry.

So, by the next day, that magazine issue was mass produced. I immediately started getting tweets and comments from everyone all over the world. I got calls and texts from my family and Eddie's family, and all my castmates from every show and movie I've been in. Of course I ignored them all, even Eddie. But I did send him a text that said I'd be in America for a few days longer than I had expected. Jessa told me that I was doing a couple interviews because of this magazine.

But by the time I had my first interview, I was ready to go home.

Finally, on Sunday morning when I'm leaving, I was now than happy. I dressed in black jeans, a white crop top, and a black leather jacket. I stepped into black combat boots and pulled my hair into a messy sock bun. I knew that paparazzi were outside of my house, so I put my aviator sunglasses on.

It took me longer than usual to get to the airport because the paps wouldn't leave me alone and kept screaming at me.

I was relieved when I got onto my private jet and realized I could sleep the whole ride. Thank god. I need a break.