Chapter 48

⚠️TW!⚠️

Cora's POV:

We turn the corner to a sidewalk leading inside a somewhat not spooky ally. It's nighttime now and most people are inside their homes, the little lights being the only symbol of life.

"We have everything, Cora." He places his arm around my shoulders and I lean into him, smiling. 

We do have everything.

"Our daughter is going to come out perfect, grow up in the most loving family. She'll have people who care for her." He continues. 

"She'll have amazing aunts and uncles. Brothers and sisters even." I smirk, adding on. 

"I love you, Cora."

"And I love you, Michael Russo."

I glance up at him. "Are we about to recite our vows right now?" He chuckles but it's quickly gone. 

"Someone's here." He whispers to himself or me. I will never know.

"What?" I whisper-shout. "Stay in front of me, there are people behind us." I nod, trying to keep calm. I try to walk faster but my belly makes it harder.

A stinging and throbbing sensations welcomes my face as someone connects a fist with me from the pitch-black beside me.

"CORA!" Michael's eyes are wide, staring at me and tears begin rushing into my eyes. I refuse to let them fall. 

He leaves me after seeing the man and repeatedly throws punches at him. "GET TO THE CAR!"

I recognize that man. 

He's Jack's man.

"GO!"

Another guy comes from behind me and throws himself at Michael's back with another joining him. I try to get up, but as soon as I do, I'm forced back by muscular hands.

"MICHAEL!" I scream, gasping for air, as the man is trying to put a gag in my mouth. 

My head is jerked up with his hands around my hair, and a tear does fall now. 

Michael.

He tries to get to me, but he's too far away. If he even does come, the other guy has a gun to my skull.

I sob out his name. I kick the man's legs, bite his arms, but his gun only connects with my face over and over again. 

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HER!" He's screaming, trying to get away from the 5 men around him. 

A fist is connected to my stomach and I squint my eyes, hissing in pain, sobbing for my baby. "NO, PLEASE." I beg.

I scream and cry, trying to back away from him, but his grip is tight and determined. "Please let us go." I'm out of energy now. I keep taking blows to my body.

"LET HER GO!" His voice is cracked and tears stream his face. I gain the courage to look up at the man holding me by my hair as I lay limp. "What do you want?" I grit.

"We're here for revenge." His sinister chuckle leaves my skin crawling. I startle at his yelling. "YOU KILLED JACK." A finger is pointed at Michael by him.

"No." I shake my head, looking down from the blood oozing from my nose. However, my head is jerked back up, again. "And I've come to do what you did me. WHAT YOU DID ALL OF US!"

"How much money do you want? I'll give you whatever you want." He pleads, the tears turning into sobs, helpless cries.

"No." The man stares out into the openness, lost in his world. "Money won't make up for this. You took the dearest thing from me and so will I." 

And at this point is when I realize I won't make it out of here. I won't get to hold my darling baby in my arms. I won't get to spend the rest of my life with Michael. I won't get to bid goodbye to her on her first day of school. I'll never experience her first birthday, heartbreak, anniversary. 

Goodbye, Michael.

"Please do something." He's still sobbing, being punched side to side.

I love you.

"I love you, Michael. I always will." I smile out, beneath the tears. 

"DON'T COR-"

A loud bang is heard and I fall to the ground with a loud thud, eyes still wide open, my hands on my stomach, the closest to holding my daughter. 

Maybe people say I'm weak for giving up, but they can think what they want to.

I just know it was never that.

--------------------