Chapter 12

"You okay?" Lil asks me as I burn through one cigarette and onto the next one, "Withdrawals?"

I nod, "I am just cracking a nerve that was ready to explode," then with a sigh, "Though at this rate I could just stop smoking period and probably be a mess for a couple of months but I'd rather just stick to one or two a day."

"This is your last one then."

I chuckle, "You don't have to monitor me."

She then narrows her eyes, "Where'd you go off to? I gave you a call but I guess you haven't even looked at your phone since last night have you?"

I shake my head, "Sorry. I was out with Ahri to catch up - I think I told you."

"You... and Ahri?"

"Yeah."

"Like Ahri Ahri?"

I pat her head, "I know you can do it, just use that brain of yours but don't overdo it okay?'

She slaps my hand away, "That is not why I am repeating myself," then rubbing the bridge of her nose, "Well at least you got to catch up with the girls," she keeps her gaze locked onto me, "It was just the two of you, right?"

"Correct."

She sighs, "I won't comment further but please for the love of..." taking a deep breath, "Just don't go and do something stupid. I wouldn't trust the two of you alone with anything."

I gasp, "I can't believe you think so little of me, I am perfectly responsible."

"Yeah yeah, until we leave the two of you in the same room alone for an hour," she shakes her head, "Are the two of you like that still? Or was this actually a friendly reunion. You know I'd rather have you not answer that question at all."

"Then you shouldn't have pried in the first place, mom."

Finishing my last cigarette, I press the tip against the sole of my shoes as I put it in the carton. They all agreed to meet here and then we take it from there - I can tell that Lil is worried that it might go south very quickly but I made sure to smoke for my own nerves.

I shouldn't lash out at them if they do say something obnoxiously stupid.

Digging my hands in my pockets, I follow her through to our... well their studio. I remember when I first bought this place and attached it to the business email. At least I didn't have to pay the taxes after being kicked out... sorry... voted out.

Yeah, I am still pretty pissed off about it.

Pushing through the doors, Lil then speaks, "I'm here don't act like you didn't miss me," she places her hands on her hips as the three of them stop what they are doing, "And as promised, (Y/N)."

"Don't think anyone made a promise," the redhead jumps to his feet, walking over to me as he offers his hand, "I spent all night thinking about how to welcome you back into the land of the living but all I could come up with was this," he clears his throat, "No hard feelings right?"

I shake my head as a smile spreads across my face, "This is why we never let you touch the lyrics, Anthony," I grab his hand, he pulls me into a hug as he pats my back.

"It hasn't been the same without the two of you," he states, then pulling back, "Well... I don't give a fuck about voting but if you stick around let's do it for her."

I nod, "No promises. Not yet," he then nods in understanding.

"Stick around you hear, if only for a while," he then looks back at the other two, gesturing with his head for them to move.

Another blonde walks up to me with his blue eyes, "Alex."

"At least you are okay, despite... well getting kicked out, everything."

"You do what you have to do, to survive right?"

He nods, hesitating before offering his hand, "Never been good at saying goodbye or welcome back. But if you are going to come back then I will do whatever I can to make your return memorable."

I take his hand, "As far as apologies go, pretty decent."

He chuckles, "Sorry, but you look good. Better than last time we spoke."

I nod, "Feeling better," I then glance past at the last person, I step past Alex as I walk to James myself.

He keeps his gaze locked onto my eyes, I arch my brow, "Don't look so tense I am not planning on kissing you."

He scoffs, "Sounds like you got over yourself."

I shake my head, "I should have hit you harder," the corner of his mouth arches upward.

"I don't blame you for thinking that," he then lowers his gaze, "I said things I never should have said, I shouldn't have-"

"Stop," I stop him as a warning, "We move on. Don't ever... ever talk about her again in front of me. That is all I ask from you, then and only then will I forgive you - I know that everything I did after she died was my own fault so you can save your preaching but it doesn't mean you were in the right."

He shakes his head, "I wasn't going to. Just... that I am glad you pulled yourself straight."

Lil then grabs my wrist, "We all cared for her," she states, "Cut him some slack, will you?"

I bite down on my tongue, keeping my words to myself knowing that it won't do much for the situation. He nods once as he steps backward - Lil then centres herself in the room as she drops in one of the chairs.

"So? You joining back?"

"You are joining back right?" Anthony asks again.

I chuckle, "That was the idea. Unless you guys don't want me to stick around then I guess I will have to get a day job."

"Terrible idea," James remarks.

I nod, "Yeah... well we should get planning then because I haven't touched a mic or a guitar in a few years so I will be a little rusty."

Even now, I can tell that we are only getting along because Lil asked them. I can't tell if they want me here, I can't tell if Ben and James fought against the vote. Playing along because they know it is for the best considering I have been publicly forgiven for something I didn't do.

I just don't know... but I guess we will just have to see.