Chapter 19

Waiting around for time to fly past me, I am not exactly in the right state of mind. To many thoughts too quickly and it all comes back to what that damned day when everything went to shit and now I am stuck convincing myself that this is me facing it.

No matter how they feel. No matter what they think of me. No matter what they say at the end of the day I will make sure to hold them accountable for the shit they did. Petty... well I guess I deserve that much and god knows that I am on the verge of snapping.

Though what does it matter? Aren't we all a little petty? Besides, I believe that I am allowed this much.

A touch on my shoulder snaps me back to my senses, "Nervous?"

I tilt my head slightly to see who it is, "No. Just a little vindictive with no way to get rid of the feeling," then fixing my posture as I glance at him,  "Are you ready? I doubt there will be a lot of smiles and cheering the moment I get on that stage."

He glances in the same direction with a wide smile, "You will be fine. They will get over themselves - there is nothing they can do to hurt you that is worse than what you went through."

I snort, "Guess so."

He then pulls a chair closer as he drops down next to me, "The guys are ready. Though you sure you want James to back you up on the vocals? I mean too late to change but the decision is kind of..."

"Odd?"

He nods, "You hate him."

I return the nod, "I can tolerate him for long enough that my hate for him starts to become an active problem. He knows what not to do, and as long as he doesn't then I may just find it in me to forgive him," then rubbing forehead, "It's just too soon. I don't want to get burned again."

"You two were close once upon a time..."

I nod, "We were," then lifting myself to my feet as I state, "Long time ago, a lot of people to blame and a lot of things you just have to accept, right?" then offering my hand as I lift him to his feet, "You guys are up. Just remember that I am supposed to appear in place of the last song, don't leave me out to dry."

Another arm around my waist, "As if I'd forget about you," Lilly then smiles with her teeth, "Just make sure to focus on your stage presence, if you walk up awkwardly I might not be able to contain my laugh."

"Yeah yeah," then throwing my arm around her shoulder as I give her a quick hug, "Besides I have been doing this a lot longer than you, it's going to feel good to be back up there despite it all."

It just won't feel all the same, with one person missing. Ahh... but with this, I guess I will officially move on. Breaking one promise just to make another one, no point holding onto all that bad blood.

But I can't show that, I can't ever show that because they will use that weakness against me. Welcome to the world... where we all bare our fangs.

The intercom rings backstage, I then gesture for the two of them to start walking, "Go and set up. Make sure to keep the spit of the mic."

She pushes me away, "Planning on rubbing your lips on it?"

"Singing with passion," I call after her as they jog towards the stage.

I let out a deep sigh. Now all I have to do is just wait patiently, let's hope that I don't waste my time or make a fool out of myself -  besides we spent all that time creating something fresh though it is still pretty raw.

The emotion alone will carry it.

Feel like I have been waiting for this day forever now, and just to let it all out.

Minutes pass as the only things I could hear above the crowd and music was my own thought, lifting myself to my feet as my heart pounds in my chest then muttering to myself, "Haven't felt like this in a long time."

Cracking my neck as I walk to the side of the stage. Staring blankly as I wait for them to finish their last track before I get to show my face. I drop my gaze down to my clothes as I chuckle at myself - could have at least dressed for the occasion.

The music fades as Lilly glances from one end to the other, observing them as they all cheer for them - practically screaming for them to blow them away with one last track, calling the specific track by name.

A smirk spreads across her face as she glances backward in my direction. Way to make it dramatic. All four of them shoot a gaze towards me as I force myself onto the stage. The sudden silence makes my feet all the heavier.

Swallowing the knot in my throat as I step up to the mic, she leans in closer to whisper, "Let's blow 'em away."

With a slight chuckle, "Like we used to," than wearing my smirk as I grab the mic.

Staring them all down, a slight uneasiness in the air. Taking a deep breath to calm me as in the distance a group of people breaks the silence, "Woooh!"

A moment of awkwardness in the air as everyone's gaze tries to find them, only to be followed by another one that sparks a flame.  Unleashing a tide of screaming growing louder and louder that makes me smile widely. I could almost mistake it for cheering, or at least I am busy convincing myself it is.

Glancing behind me as I give the signal to get this comeback started!

 (The best song I could find that fits both the rock genre and the general feeling I am going for. If you have anything you'd replace it with... just pop in a link and I'll give it a listen.)