CHAPTER 72: Movement Of Her Tongue

Nothing has arrive. Not yet, but Ace could smell the blood and hear the sound of beeping monitors and crying families. He walked through the department bending his neck from side to side. Stretching his arms and clicking his fingers one by one as he checked airway equipments, central lines, trauma kits, mechanical ventilators while making an eye to eye contact with every nurses and residents. Room by room, cubicle by cubicle, item by item, he mentally touched and confirmed each tool. As Ace touched each item, he make a quick practice run in his mind so that when he need it, he don't have to think or feel. He can run the resucitation process in an organized manner.

"One hour and thirty five minutes to go kids. Let's bring it on!" Ace said as the buzzer on the radio squawks.

A multiple vehicular accident in which five cars and two motorcycles hit each other in the middle of the dawn. Fifteen casualties of different ages. Medics are on the scene now, declaring that half of the casualties are critically injured.

"Shhhh..." He raised his hand to stop all of them from hushing.

"Estimated time of arrival, fifteen minutes." The paramedics says and all of them is in moment of silence.

"Seven patients with extensive facial and chest trauma. IV established, patient being bagged, not intubated."

Everyone just listened to what the paramedics said. They need to know what they need to prepare for the fifteen patients to come. Each patient has different medical needs.

The radio stops and all of them took a deep breath. Ace's job is to drain the department of all emotion so that they can prepare. They cannot afford to feel. One of the victim is an infant, the other one is a child. They are both dying, feeling and emotions should not meddle with their work. They must focus. They must move. But they must not feel, or they will lose focus and fail.

"Okay, work mode kids...on your position and area now." Ace's voice sounds calm, yet with authority and power.

"Kuya Ace, I mean dok Thompson..." Lumapit si Kara sa kanya at bumuntong hininga.

"Can I intubate the infant? I want to try it." Kara is so confident and ready, even to her own ears. It is convicing that she almost believe it. Yet, she felt the sheer terror inside. 

"Of course, you can...why not?" Ngumiti si Ace kahit kitang-kita niya ang kaba sa mukha ng dalaga.

"Ikaw ha, hindi mo pa pinapakilala ng formal ang boyfriend mo sa kuya mo. How could I know if pasado ba siya sa criteria ko o hindi?" Bumulong si Ace sa kanya.

Ilang araw na niyang pinipilit na hindi isipin ang relasyon ni Kara at Carl. Una sa lahat, nagseselos siya. Pangalawa, naiirita siya kapag iniisip niyang si Carl na naman. Aminado siyang bilang kapatid ni Missy, hindi niya gusto noon ang binata para sa dalaga. Pero ngayong si Kara ang girlfriend nito, mas lalo siyang nakakaramdam ng pagkainis.

Bakit ba sa dami ng lalaki, ikaw pa ang naging boyfriend ni Kara? You have hurt Melissa so hard pero pinalampas ko na lang yun. So don't fucking hurt Kara, or else...I will show you things you have not seen in your life Carl!

Ace eyed him with a fierce smile.

"Kuya naman eh! We are in the middle of-"

"Follow me, doctor dela Vega." Sabi ni Ace pero si Kara ang sumunod sa kanya. Palapit na sana si Drew pero napaatras siya nang makita ang paghakbang ng dalaga.

"I said dela Vega, are you deaf doctor Villanueva?" Nauna niyang tinawag si Drew dahil ipa-pahandle nito ang batang babae sa kanya.

Napansin ni Ace na nagiging kalmado ang mga bata kapag siya ang gumagamot sa kanila. If it is an innate ability or not, hindi siya sigurado. Basta ang alam niya, kayang patahanin ni Drew ang mga batang umiiyak. Hindi gaya ni Drake at Carl na madaling umiinit ang ulo. Si Gian at Drew ang nakakitaan niya ng abilidad na iyon. Kalmado lang sila at laging nakangiti. Mabilis at hindi gaanong nagsasalita pero natatapos nila ang mga trabaho kahit hindi sila turuan ni Ace.