CHAPTER 21: Dr. Ace

"Thank you for that heartwarming introduction. Muntik na akong naiyak, joke lang. Anyway..." Ace smiled and took a deep breath as he stood on the podium to give a message.

"Honestly, when I received the call and the invitation, I was hesitant. Sabi ko sa sarili ko, why me? Sigurado ba sila? Baka nagkamali lang sila. So I really call the admin to make sure. Hindi lang dalawang beses o tatlong beses ako tumawag just to confirm na magiging speaker talaga ako sa very special event gaya nito. Kasi for me...do I really deserve this chance? Do I have what it takes? Am I the person they really needed?" He paused and took a deep breath again.

"I am just a third year resident, well... about to finish. Pero at the back of my mind, alam ko na mas madaming doctor who deserve this pedestal, this podium where I'm standing. It can be the fellows or the attending physicians, but my almamater chose me. And it's an honor, to stand infront of you, future doctors of the next generation and give this kind of speech."

Kara is always fascinated how Ace carry himself with so much confidence yet with a humble heart. He is an inspiration, a person she will always look up to and a mentor who always bring the best in her worst moments.

"I tried to write a good speech but I wasn't able to do it. Kaya sabi ko, I will just say things straight from what I feel the moment I step in the podium. I hope kahit hindi perfect ang speech ko, you can get something that you can use in this next journey of your life." Ace hated scripts, he always  love to do it impromptu.

Alcantara Medical Center College of Medicine's white coat ceremony is a much-awaited traditional event where first year medical students are cloaked with white coats as a symbol of the profession and as a welcome to their lifelong path they have chosen.

They held them, embroidered with their names and the Alcantara Medical Center College of Medicine logo, on their laps until it was time to stand and line up to cross the stage. Then they put their arms through the coat sleeves, helping one another look presentable by adjusting collars and hems.

Each first-year student will also receive a costumized AMCCM high quality stethoscope as a token of this important milestone of their life.

"We all have a different story pertaining to why we decided to become a doctor. I, myself, had no distinct light-bulb moment on my journey to medical school. Yung...ting!"

When you are known for being a serious man, then you suddenly tried to crack a hilarious coined word. They all laughed with that epic ting part.

"Paglaki ko gusto ko maging doktor. You know that moment? Wala akong ganun." He is pausing in between to think the words he will impart with them.

"Becoming a physician was a thing that really pressured me even before high school. Like...si Ace, sigurado magdo-doktor yan. Parehong doktor ang mommy at daddy niya eh. Ay si Ace, nasa top one na naman, pang medical school yan. Even my Mom and Dad keep on bagging me. You will be a good doctor Ace, you will continue the legacy of our family. I remember my Mom saying that."

All of them are silently focused to Ace. Not just because the way he delivered his words, but any woman there of all ages will sound hypocrite if they will deny that this drop dead gorgeous, grey eyes, towering height man will not get their attention.

"Being raised by two physician parents really gave me a lot of pressure. Sabi ko, can I just decide of who I'm gonna be? Like, hindi ba pwedeng maging basketball player na lang ako? I was a varsity back then and I actually received an offer from the NBA. Sabi ko din, hindi ba pwedeng mag-artista na lang ako? Because I also received a lot of modeling offers from different agencies. Feeling gwapo ang kuya Ace nyo eh..." He cracked the serious tone by telling those stories.