CHAPTER 74: Less Than A Minute

"What? You gotta be kidding me! Ayoko ng mga ganitong joke, Stephanie! Fuck you!" Melissa cursed. She had already started turning the engine of the car even though she was shaking on what she heard on the other line.

"Do you really think I'm gonna be kidding you, Missy? How could I fucking do that?" She gasped as she cried over the phone. They cannot consider themselves as friends, but she knew that Melissa ought to know the tragic accident. She herself couldn't believe. Stephanie was just talking to him the other day and now she's seeing his dead body lying on the resuscitation bed.

"He can't be dead!" She shouted and turned off her phone.

Her tears kept flowing. She didn't stop driving, almost like flying with so much speed. She seemed to be racing with  death the way she drive her car.

Melissa constantly overtake all the vehicles. She also blew her horn non-stop to signal that she was in a hurry. She just ignored the policeman and MMDA who stopped her for overspeeding. It does not matter if she gets caught. All she knew was that she had to get to the hospital right away. She had to see him herself. She didn't want to believe what she heard from Stephanie.

No! You can't be dead! Please...

Her tears flowed even more as she held her chest as she gasped for breath with each cry.

"Sir, I'm sorry pero wala akong oras makipagbangayan sayo. This is my license. Ito din yung multa ko." She threw her license and fifteen thousand money bills at the MMDA.

Melissa pulled the speedometer to its maximum and drive as fast as she could to reach AMC's Emergency Room. She quickly pulled the steering wheel when she saw a large ten wheeler cutting her off. Her car crashed into a concrete wall. The front was dented upon the impact and her head hit the steering wheel hard because she forgot to fasten her seatbelt. The airbag malfunctioned, but miraculously she did not lose consciousness and was able to drive again.

The entire Emergency Room was in turmoil on what happened. Every person inside has different reactions, but most of them were shocked and blanked.

"Are you crazy, doctor Ramirez? How can you do nothing?" 

Ace shouted at him but he forcefully push him away, preventing Ace from approaching the patient whose face was covered with a white blanket.

"He is dead on arrival Ace! You can't revive him! We can't revive him anymore!" He shouted while still holding Ace's arms.

"Pwede ba? Bitawan mo ako! I have to see him!"

But other nurses helped to stop Ace from approaching the patient.

"It's an accident. He is already dead when they arrived. Fully dilated pupils. No slightest signs of life. He lost almost half of his blood. Reviving him is useless, he will be brain dead after all. Ace, I'm just a doctor, I'm not capable of raising dead people!"  He said to him.

Don't just die like that...

Ace is still struggling with the nurses who were blocking him while thinking of Melissa and Kara.

The sliding door opened and everyone was surprised to see Kara crying as she approached the patient they had declared dead. She was crying and seemed to have no strength to lift the blanket from the patient's face. But she wants to see him even if it's hard. It felt so heavy that she was about to fall as she stood in front of that lifeless patient.

No! Tell me...I'm dreaming...

She was trembling as she touched the white sheet covering him. Kara didn't know how to breathe properly while everything they had been through runs through her mind. All the time they were together. Every minute and second he made her laugh and smile. She couldn't stop crying but she gathered all her courage to open the blanket that covered his face.