FINALE 05

Drew had chose Alcantara Medical City's deluxe maternity suite package for Kara's convenience. He already booked and reserved it three months prior to her due date. It is a birthing room composed of private bathrooms with jacuzzi, a tub for water birth, rocking chairs, birth balls and squat bars. The suite room has a flat-screen TV, sofa, refrigerator and all the amenities from a hotel room. A baby cradle and a warming bed for the baby. Complete set of adult and neonatal emergency equipment and drugs. It is equiped with advanced wireless fetal monitoring that continuously analyzes maternal vital signs, fetal heart rate, contractions and labor progression. The patient's bed is also adjustable to labor and birthing bed. One patient will be attended by one OB-Gyne Consultant, one Neonatal Pediatric Specialist, two midwives, two nurses specialzed in labor and delivery and two neonatal intensive care nurses. It also includes anesthesiologist on call twenty-four seven to provide strong and potent pain medication if needed.

"Anong floor ba to? Dito na ba ang bagong maternity ward?" Tanong nito kay Drew. He personally pushed the wheelchair, from the emergency room to maternity suite room. Pasumpong sumpong lang paghilab ng tiyan nito kaya tumanggi siyang magpalipat ng naka-stretcher.

She had an OB rotation in their intern days, sigurado siya na hindi ito ang lugar na iyon. The hallways were so wide. Binilang niya kung ilang pintuan ang meron sa lugar na iyon. Pito lang at layu-layo pa. Ibig sabihin, ganun kalaki ang espasyo ng bawat kwarto. It's more of a luxury hotel vibes than a hospital premises. Hindi naman na iyon kataka taka sa AMC, pero ngayon lang talaga siya nakapunta doon.

"Wow!" Napatayo si Kara sa wheelchair nang makapasok sila sa pinakadulong kwarto. She was amazed by the state of the art arrangement of the room. It was a birthing room, yet she's thinking how the interior designer made it so cozy.

"May ganito pala dito? Ngayon ko lang nalaman na meron palang-"

"Actually, hindi ko rin alam. It was Kyle who suggested. Bago lang to, wala pang one year. And...you are the first patient. There is a smaller room than this, same set up din. But when I saw this..."

"Hindi mo naman kailangan gumastos ng ganito kalaki para sa-"

"Why not? I want the best for my wife and son." Drew cleared his throat.

"I mean...wife to be. I promised myself that I will do anything to make Sean and you comfortable. I promised your dad that I'm gonna treat her princess well. That I'm gonna take care of her and give the best this world can offer."

"Pero, you just bought that lot last month. And the cost of the house we are about to build is too-"

"There is no such word as expensive. It's not on my vocabulary. When it comes to you, Sean and our future kids, it does not exist. I can spend all my fortune and hard earned money for you."

"I also have savings and trustfund. We can use that for-"

"May pera pa ako, okay? Tsaka, can you please stop thinking about unnecessary things." Putol ni Drew sa kanya sabay akay kay Kara sa kama.

She stopped arguing with him when she felt the contractions again. A nurse wearing a rosewood color scrubsuit entered preceding a knock. She sweetly greeted Kara and Drew as she put on the maternal and fetal monitors on her. The oxygen monitor on her left index finger and the bp cuff on her right arm.

"All these are wireless but connected and transmitted directly to our system. Even in my phone and with the whole team. Just feel free to walk or position yourself in the most comfortable way. We can still track and see your labor progress kahit pa nasa labas kami ng hospital premises. I will come to see you every thirty minutes to check your-"

"Hmmm..." Kara shyly interrupted the nurse.

"Yes? Anything?"

"Pwede bang si Drew na lang ang mag..." Nahihiya siyang sabihin sa nurse ang nais niyang mangyari.