Muted

It was a week later and Peter had been annoying Jess about calling Braeden for help so she did and thankfully the girl didn't take long to arrive. She did, however, annoy Peter once she arrived as revenge for annoying her friend.

"That table's Italian." Peter stated as the mercenary put her legs up on the table and leaned back in her chair.

"So are these boots." Braeden replied causing Jess to smile at her friend and Derek to chuckle silently. "Are we going to talk interior design and fashion, or are we going to talk numbers?" Peter scribbled down a number on a piece of paper and slid it across to the mercenary, only for her to write down a new number and slide it back.

The older wolf scoffed. "We're hiring you to find Kate, not assassinate the president."

"It's going against the Calaveras that's gonna cost you, you idiot." Jess stated.

"Exactly. I was hired by the Calaveras to find Kate. You're hiring me to find her first and that's where it's gonna cost you." Peter sighed and wrote down a new number to slide back. Braeden immediately slid it back so Peter scoffed once more and stood up but Derek grabbed the paper and started tearing it up.

"We'll pay. Just find Kate. That's all we want." Derek stated.

"Guess my favourite side-kick isn't gonna be joining me?" Braeden asked Jess.

Jess laughed. "Afraid not this time but I'll do my research from here and text you everything I find." She hugged her friend before Braeden left.

"Are you insane?" Peter shouted at his nephew the second Jess shut the door. Derek came up to his wife and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her gently before guiding her over to the table by the window. Jess sat down on the table as Derek stood next to her with his back to his uncle.

"We didn't have a choice. We spent a week looking and came up with nothing." Derek justified.

"If we don't find out who told Kate about the vault, we don't get those bonds back. What do you think I'm gonna do then, huh? Get a job? My resume is slightly out of date! We got robbed, Derek! Robbed" Peter cried out only for Derek to turn around and roar at him.

"Do what Derek done, marry rich." Jess responded sarcastically as Derek wrapped his arms around Jess' waist so she wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

"Well that's a new look for you." Peter said to his nephew. "What happened to your eyes?"

"Don't, Peter." The witch warned.

"I don't know." Derek answered. "But I'm willing to pay to find out." Peter nodded before leaving. The wolf waited until his uncle was out of supernatural earshot before relaxing and sinking his head between Jess' neck and shoulder. 

"I'm here, Der." She assured him as she rubbed the back of his head.

"I'm so sorry, Jess." He whispered.

"Don't apologise. I love seeing Braeden, she's one of my closest friends."

"I meant about last week too... I know I hurt you when we were at Deaton's-"

"I'm gonna stop you right there, Hale. That was Stiles' cousin, Miguel, who has terrible control. He was 15 and waking up surrounded by strangers so I think you should cut him a bit of slack." Jess responded as Derek pulled back a bit so he could face her.

"I still can't believe Stiles done that. Like he really couldn't have thought of a better lie to tell Scott's dad? You were great with your lying to that deputy." The wolf replied.

"Stiles panicked, he wasn't expecting Rafael to be there. He thought he'd be able to just keep you at Scott's with no one knowing. Also, you uh heard my conversation with Jordan then?" Jess asked nervously.