Blitzkrieg

"When you were here before how long did it take for the Ghost Riders to show up?" Scott as Malia as the pair walked through the preserve with Lydia. 

"Couple of minutes." The werecoyote answered.

"That's reassuring." Lydia stated sarcastically.

"What's a riff supposed to look like?" Malia questioned.

"If it's a tear in the fabric of our world, theoretically, it could look like anything from a microscopic black hole to a free-floating Einstein-Rosen bridge." The banshee responded as the trio stopped walking to look up. "I really hope it's not up there."

"Let's split up." Scott suggested.

"Anyone wanna check this out?" Jess called out, pointing towards an entrance to the underground tunnels of Beacon Hills. The three raced over to her and Lydia pulled the witch into a hug while Scott looked down the tunnel. 

"The rift's not above us..." Lydia realised as she faced the tunnel

"It's below us." Scott stated.

The group proceeded to walk through the tunnels, trying to find the rift and catching up.

"So is Derek back too or is it just you? And where's the baby?" Malia queried, not being one to beat around the bush.

"Uh... no he's not. He's in New York and Charlotte has Addison since she's just outside of Beacon Hills." Jess responded as she went to walk in front of the teenagers, only for her hand to be grabbed by Lydia.

"You're still wearing your ring though, that's a good sign, right?"

"I can't see a thing." The brunette witch complained, trying to change the subject.

"It's got to be down here somewhere." Scott replied as they approached a junction in the tunnels. 

Malia turned right but was almost immediately knocked back causing a green, blue and purple screen appear. "Ow... Found it." Jess helped the werecoyote up before the pack stepped carefully towards the riff to examine it.

"It's remarkably similar." Said Lydia.

"To what?" Malia asked.

"To the Einstein-Rosen bridge." Lydia responded.

"Jess, reckon you could try using some of your magic?" The werecoyote suggested. 

"I'd have to touch it. Didn't you say Peter got severe burns from doing that? I know it's been a while but remember I'm essentially human?" Spoke the witch.

"She's right. If she touches that, she'll be dead and Derek would come after all of us." Scott agreed. Jess wandered slightly and found a loose pipe on the ground.

"Let's try this." The brunette suggested, holding the pipe out in front of her. Malia immediately took it and walked over to the rift, twisting the pipe around to try and expand the rift so they could make a gap for them to fit through.

"There's gotta be another way. We just need to think." Lydia stated.

"Think?" Malia asked incredulously.

"Yeah... Think about how to get through a supernatural rift that melts steel." Scott said while Malia pulled the pipe out of the rift and tossed it on the ground. 

"I didn't say it was gonna be easy..." Lydia responded. Jess ran a hand through her hair and turned round, spotting an unfamiliar face with blonde hair and a menacing smile.

"But it doesn't have to be so hard." The man said. 

"He followed our scent." The alpha realised.

"I followed your desperation." The blonde man, Douglas, corrected, taking a few steps closer to them. "We're all in a tough spot. Desperate to get inside and save everyone, and hoping to find a way to stop this army of the dead. We all want the same thing."