Volume 2, Ch. 9: Burning the Candle

~Beacon Auditorium~
*Ruby Rose POV*

Here I am... Just sitting and felling down... Ugh.... Blake's still going at it with the investigation, even with Big Brother's moment last night. I didn't want to see that again, it was scary. Now thinking about it, his voice...

~Flashback Several Days Ago~

"When he makes threats, his Biotics flare up brighter and heavier, while his eyes shine brighter than an Asari using her Biotics," Garrus replied. "There was a time I could have sworn I heard (Y/N)'s voice get distorted, and he didn't have his helmet on."

~Flashback End~

Was that what Garrus meant? The voice Big Brother made was creepy, but it did snap Blake out of it for the moment. I couldn't bear to even think about the dance without Blake going. She wouldn't want to go, besides getting asked by Big Brother. I was still thinking about Blake until someone slammed their palms on the table I was on. I looked up and saw Weiss and she was smiling, kind of weird to see.

"I need you to pick a tablecloth." Weiss told me as she slid two squares towards me. I looked at them and I was confused since they looked the same.

"Aren't they both the same?" I asked. I didn't see Garrus or James behind me as they also looked at the tablecloths.

"I'm with Ruby," Garrus agreed with me. "They look the same to me."

"Yeah, what's the difference?" James asked as he was confused as I was.

"Ugh, I don't even know why I asked," Weiss told us frustrated and walked away. I looked at Garrus and James and we shrugged our shoulders until I heard Weiss talking to Liara and Miranda. "Liara, Miranda, which tablecloth should we do?"

We watched Liara and Miranda look at the tablecloths, and they looked at each other and back onto Weiss.

"Go with the left one." Liara replied.

"I agree, it would set the mood better." Miranda agreed with Liara.

"I knew you two would help. Thanks!" Weiss thanked Liara and Miranda as she left. I looked at Garrus and James as we didn't know what happened.

"What just happened?" I asked confused.

"No idea, Ruby," Garrus replied to me. "Maybe it's something with the more "sophisticated" women to understand such things like that."

"Maybe you're right..." I told Garrus and went back being all glum. Garrus took notice of me and sat down while James patted my back and went around to do whatever he was supposed to do. I look over my shoulder and I saw Yang carrying a speaker on her shoulder followed by Grunt and Wrex with smaller speakers on both their shoulders. Yang dropped the speaker she had, and it made the table Garrus and I sat by jump in the air a bit. Yang came over to the side and brushed her hands as she looked at Grunt and Wrex.

"Grunt, Wrex, just put those on the stage." Yang told Grunt and Wrex.

"Got it!" Grunt replied as he went over and placed the speakers on the stage with Wrex. They brushed their hands and walked over to the other speakers to move.

"So, have you picked out a dress?" Yang asked me.

"What's the point?" I replied. "Who cares about the dance if Blake isn't going? I thought Big Brother was going to ask her."

"Now that I'm thinking about it," Yang said while looking around. "Where is Little Bro and Shepard?"

"Oh, right..." Garrus spoke up as we looked at him. "Since both (Y/N) and Shepard are Spectres, they now have to attend a monthly meeting with other reinstated Spectres from the Council. It's kind of a new thing since the Citadel Council merged with the Valean Council."