Volume 3, Ch. 1: The Vytal Tournament

~Island of Patch~
*Narrator POV*

On the island of Patch, with the golden sun shining over the tall grass and autumn trees. On a cliff overlooking a view of a forest of Patch, lies a gravestone of one Summer Rose with an etching "Thus kindly I scatter." In front of said gravestone was Ruby Rose, daughter of Summer Rose with her cape flowing in the wind as rose petals scatter throughout the wind. After some time of silence, Ruby takes her hood off and begins speaking to her mother.

"Hey mom," Ruby began speaking. "Sorry I haven't come by in a while. Things have been... well, things have been pretty busy. Oh! Dad's here too! He's, uh, you know... Dad..."

Ruby merely shrugs at the mention of her father, Taiyang Xiao Long.

"He's still teaching at Signal, but he told me he's going out on some missions soon! I think he misses adventuring with you..." Ruby continues before looking forlornly. "I miss you too."

Ruby stays still for a brief pause.

"Haven't gotten kicked outta Beacon yet. So that's cool. I think being on a team with Yang helps. I keep her in line," Ruby jokes a bit. "That was a joke. She's actually a really great fighter! You can tell she's learned a lot from Dad. Well, so are Weiss and Blake. Oh! They're my teammates, and together, we form Team RWBY! And, yes, before you ask... That does cause a lot of confusion. Anyways, uh, I made a bunch of new friends and I met some... uh, let's just say "odd" teachers. Oh! We've also stopped some bad guys too! I guess it's like they say, "like mother, like daughter.""

Ruby pauses for another brief moment as she began thinking a bit.

"I still wonder why Ozpin let me into the school early, but uh, I guess he'll tell me one day. You know how he is. It's funny, the more I get to know him, the more he starts sounding like Uncle Qrow," Ruby adds with a bit of surprise to her expression but remembers one important event. "But even with everything happening, there was one day that made not only mine and Yang's day, but also Dad and Uncle Qrow too. I made some rather interesting group of friends. Why? Well... believe it or not, mom, they're aliens. Yup, your daughter made friends with aliens. Asari, Turians, Krogan, Salarians, Drell, and Quarian. There's Liara, she's an asari, and someone I look up to. She's beautiful, mom, you'd be kind of jealous, but Liara is also very caring and watching out for us. She's like another older sister I love to have. There's Tali, she's the Quarian. She wears this suit because her species have a really bad immune system, makes me feel really sad for them, but she is really an awesome person. I met two Krogan that I see as older brothers, rowdy and destructive older brothers, Wrex and Grunt. They remind me too much of Yang when she's mad or uses her semblance. It's funny, Yang gets really awkward around Grunt for some reason. She gets really red and plays with her hair... a lot. There's Garrus, he's a Turian, and guess what? He's like me, or I'm like him, I don't know, but he's a weapon nut like me. Calibration this, calibration that. It's one of the many things I like about him, and... I've been feeling weird when I'm around him. Like how I said Yang was with Grunt, but with me around Garrus. I've been told it was love, but I don't know. I've met some Salarians, mainly Mordin and Kirrahe, they're amazing people, even though they're similar to Professor Oobleck. Talk too fast. Who else... Oh! The Drell I mentioned. They're Thane and Kolyat, and they're father and son. Thane is very caring and helped me with some hand-to-hand combat and Kolyat helps me like he's another older brother. There's also Big Brother Shepard, and no he's not an actual brother, but someone I see as an older brother. No, he's not an alien, he's human, but he, and everyone else I said, are from another dimension. Big Brother Shepard, he's amazing. With him are Miranda, Jacob, Zaheed, James, and Dr. Chakwas, and both Joker and EDI, but EDI is... uh, a synthetic that used to be an AI? Anyways, they're all amazing people, but there's something I really, really have to tell you mom..."