Prologue

Prologue

Raven Regler the storyteller sat at the coffee shop with her father Anansi the spider. Though he was in the form of a man.

"I hate these places" he said under his breath frustrated.

"Coffee exploits Africa" He was clearly upset.

"I love it!" Rave his daughter said excitedly.

"That's the problem with you, you're becoming to American."

"So what if I am?" she pondered at her frustrated father.

"You know they see you as a muse my daughter. That is not what you are. That is hardly Afrrican. That is close but that is not the concept-"

"It's how they interpret me here. I am an excellent story teller dad."

"I agree with you. But why Jake Caloway? Maika Abend is much more important than Jake Caloway."

"No he's not!" she complained.

"Yes." Anansi paused. "He is."

"Why tell it as fiction? Why? It's a true story. It's a prophecy my daughter. In Africa your purple hair is a sin. But your white eyes make you a true prophet. They show wisdom within you."

"I chose my purple hair for religious reasons father and you know it. It might look disgraceful on the outside. But you know it's a proper mistake." the 16 year old said. Anansi sighed as Raven sipped her coffee.

"I still think think you are an excellent storyteller. Even better than me. But this story? It should really be about Maika. He's much more important." Anansi suggested again.

"Jake Caloway is the one saving the world. He is the one the gods chose. He is that in Africa-"

"I don't want to hear it." Anansi said.

"I really don't want to hear it."

The purple goddess, in the black suspender skirt and yellow fingerless gloves sipped her coffee and looked up at the ceiling. They were in America. Raven was preparing to go to the summit.

"I bet you" Anansi said. "That I could make them both worshipped in Africa. I bet you"

"No!" Raven was shocked. "That's a terrible idea."

"Don't you love this Jake boy?" Raven was embarrassed. He was much older than her and also an adult.

"We'll bet" Raven said for the idea. "But I'm not happy about it" she smiled at her father. What kind of smile is up for debate.

"Well I suppose we should be going. We have a lot of work to go through. You have to go through a disguise. I don't think given your American accent many people will notice you're African. Not exactly a butterfly right now are you?" Raven sighed in response.

"Don't take that disgraceful drink with you" Anansi said and the two exited the coffee shop.