Chapter 37: Nightmare before Solstice

✧Misma POV✧

"We wish them nice holidays, that is it. But you really don't have to come. It was just a suggestion, but it is your choice," Rhys stated, but I shook my head.

"No, I want to. I would like to see them. See my mum and sister before Solstice, even though it never mattered to us."

I now had all my presents and was pretty happy about them. I also got one for Jeen. As I did not know how she would celebrate Solstice or if she would do anything at all, I thought about bringing the present along that day.

We always used to have a dinner on Solstice, but that was it. No festivity or presents or similar. So I guessed that maybe was what Jeen and Salim were also doing that year.

 ∙∙✧ ✧ ✧∙∙

I had nearly forgotten about the terrible darkness down here.

We walked through the alleys of the Hewn City, or rather strutted.

I always loved the holly wreaths, the evergreen garlands and crackling birchin wood fires in honour of Solstice. I always thought they lit up the whole Hewn City.

Not anymore....now where I knew what light meant, now that I knew what Velaris looked like, there was nothing light and bright about this place. It was solely dim and gloomy.

A cold shive ran down my spine, while my heart shuddered in my chest — it was weird to be down here with them, and not with my family.

Mor held my hand the whole time while going to Rhys and Feyre's thrown room. She grabbed it so tightly, that I grimaced slightly, but I was thankful. She understood me. Understood me better than anyone else down here. Azriel was following closely behind us, one hand on his hunting knife.

I saw my parents kneel before Rhys, when we all knelt before our High Lord and Lady and bowed. It was the usual process, like in all those years when I had lived on the other side of the Night Court, quickly passing by and telling them to have nice holidays and then leaving again.

After we were ordered to get up, I looked around the room. I could not find Jeen, but my parents. My father avoided my gaze, but my mother, my mother made eye contact with me. She nodded, mouth slightly curling and blinking her eyes. I was sure that I spotted a tear forming in the corner of her eye. I blinked my eyes at her, ever so slightly dipping my chin.

On our way out in the corner of my eye I spotted my parents approaching us. Azriel must have noticed it too since he quickly held my hand tightly and guided me outside.

But my mother was faster and she quickly grabbed my other hand which made me stop and spin around. I looked at her with big eyes before she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Happy Solstice, my child. I love you so much, please don't forget that and please forgive me, you are so strong and I am so proud of you," she whispered into my hair, her voice breaking while holding me tightly. Her figure was so bony, the motherly softness and warmth no longer part of her.

It made me cringe and tears started to dwell in my eyes.

"I love you, mother. Happy Solstice," I told her, stroking her back and pulling away.
"Let's go!" my father snarled behind her, pulling her with him but she quickly also grabbed Azriel's hand, looking at him with big eyes, dipping her chin.

"Take good care of her, promise me that!" she quickly told him, following after my father. Azriel nodded at her before we saw them disappear into the crowd. I let a sob escape my mouth when Azriel pulled me to his chest, his hand moving to the back of my head. He gave me a weak smile and guided us both outside.