Chapter 54: A Throne Room?

✧Misma POV✧

My childhood room.

The two doors were there again. I opted for the other one this time, approaching it with slow but confident steps. I felt my bare feet travel over to cool, marble floor.

The door handle was cold against my palm, but I slowly pushed it down and pulled the door open. It revealed—

—my sister.

My sister and I sitting on my bed. A lovely melody reached my ears. I saw us singing together, smiling at each other while we were eating sweets.

Oh lights go down
In the moment we're lost and found
I just wanna be by your side
If these wings could fly
For the rest of our lives

The pictures vanished and I saw Rani. He was the first boy I had crush on. He smiled at me but then the pictures blurred and I saw myself on my birthday, smiling and dancing with my sister. I had turned 20 that day, I still remembered it. It was a good day and I was happy. There was a big time laps and I saw myself in the inn. Had there been no happy memory between my 20th birthday and the inn? The inn where Azriel and I kissed for the first time. Other pictures seeped into my mind. The mating bond snapping in place and the accepting of it came next, then our trip to the cabin, the flat and Solstice and finally there was another door. Well, not exactly a door. The pictures became clearer: it was an archway.

An archway into a cave.

I walked through it, my hands brushing against the harsh stones. It was so real. And then there it was.

A throne room.

An underground throne room.

It looked so familiar. It looked like.....the Hewn City. But it wasn't the Hewn City. It was....

"Oh gods..." I breathed out, dashing forward and letting go of the sharp bones.

One poked right into the middle of where his soul was supposed to be hidden, my hand hovering above it while with my other hand I stopped myself from crashing down onto the table. Azriel was quick to steady me, catching me from my fall.

They all either stared at the table or at me. I blinked a few times, coming back to the real life and trying to process everything that had happened.

"It worked!" Gwyn expressed and Balthazar clapped his hands in front of his body, smiling at me and at Gwyn. Cassian loosened a relieved sigh, bowing his head at me.

A kernel of relief bloomed in my chest, making my beating heart slow down an ounce.

"Amazing that it worked, but is it again the Bog of Oorid? I am most definitely not going there again!" Nesta grumbled, throwing her hands in the air, but Rhys shook his head. His face grim and cold as a winter morning.

The power of the High Lord rumbled through the room, both Cassian and Azriel's siphons starting to glow.

"This is not the Bog....this is..." Rhysand started, staring blankly at the map. I had not known that words could ever fail my High Lord. He swallowed hard, averting his gaze from the map and looking at his mate with pure pain and concern.

"Under the Mountain," Feyre finished for him, shaking her head in disbelief. A noticed a tear dwell in the corner of her eye while she clutched her arms around her middle.

Within the blink of an eye error eroded all happy feelings about the scrying having worked. A cold shudder rumbled through our bodies, everything went calm and all brightness disappeared into thin air. Pure horror and shock washed over me, leaving a bitter taste behind.