×4O

While the future soldiers were training below ground, a figure crept around on the surface. His bright pink jumpsuit stood out against the dusty background. Slung to his back, he had a long gun shaped object connected to a canister.
He walked on the ruins of what used to be human civilization, humming and singing softly to himself.
“Blake! Get the fuck back here!” Blake suddenly stopped and looked straight at the agitated alien, removing his black bandanna mask. Echo’s skin was a mixture a dark purple and dark blue, mostly purple. They’re hair were also a beautiful blend of white and purple streaks.
“Make me, bitch!” Blake shouted.
“Shut the fuck up! They'll find us!” Echo whisper yelled, grabbing onto Blake's wrist.
“So? I'll just give them a nice flame bath!” Blake said as he held his gun ready. If Echo had any irises, she'd probably be rolling them. Blake wriggled his wrist free and jumped down from what used to be the roof of a gas station. Echo’s shoulders lowered in defeat with a groan.
“We need to find food instead of trouble! Remind me why I saved your life?” Echo asked as they also jumped down from the roof, landing next to Blake.
“Because you love me.” Blake said as he turned around, making smoochy lips at Echo.
Echo huffed, “Hardly. In fact, I'd say saving you was the second worst decision I've ever made.” They said, crossing their arms.
“What was the first?” Blake asked, stopping to face Echo.
“That's none of your- hey!” Echo hissed as they saw Blake running off.
Blake turned his head behind him and saw Echo's figure rapidly catching up with him. He groaned out loud. “I just wanna have some fun. What's wrong with that?” Blake complained.
“The fact that you are doing it at the wrong place. You saw what they did to them.” Echo said sternly, dodging a fallen over road sign.
“Geez, fine. You're no fun.” Blake said, rolling his eyes as he slung his gun back to where it was and then proceeded to go into the buildings that surprisingly still stood.
Echo followed him into the building as Blake went to search for the kitchen. “Damn, Echo.” He mumbled as he stumbled around in the offices. He did find a packet of pretzels and even a left behind bottle of water. Whoever used this cubicle clearly left in a hurry. Not that Blake was complaining, of course.
Grabbing the bag he threw in the snacks he found as he passed them. Eventually, he did find the kitchen of the floor he was exploring. He yanked open the fridge. A large bottle of water was in there along with sandwiches that went bad along with yogurt, milk and what Blake thought was old chocolate cake. He wasn't sure what it was, all he knew was it was a giant, brown mass with mold grown all over it.
He groaned as he slammed it shut. He proceeded to the cabinets and found one can of baked beans and a can of fruit. He was about to leave when his eye caught a jar that sat on the counter.
He looked to see it was a can of preserved peaches. Without hesitation he packed it into the bag.”Where's all the vending machines, damnit…” He said to himself.
“Jackpot!” He heard Echo yell from the floor above him.
“Son of a bitch.”  Blake groaned. He decided to go towards the third floor where he found basically the same.
People left in a rush leaving their lunch behind and with that some other supplies that helped. He especially kept his eye out for a vending machine. That's one thing buildings like this one always had. Entering the second kitchen on the floor, (much to his disappointment) he found no vending machine and the fridge had absolutely nothing in it. The cabinets had a large bag of chips, but that's about that. When he left the kitchen, he was beyond disappointed.
With a pout, he went down the hallways. It was empty, dark and cold. The only sound he could hear was the shuffling of his own feet and the loot he found hitting and clanging  into each other in his back pack. He walked past another office where he found something that stood out. In the little light that came through the broken windows he found a fidget toy on the desk.
The toy was a cube in shape and each side had something on to keep you entertained. Buttons, switches, small rolling balls and disks. He puts it in his pocket and looked through the drawers again. Just documents and USB drives. Nothing much.
In the bottom drawer he stopped. He found a bottle that used to be a bottle of Jack Daniels. He stared at the bottle in front of him. Memories flashed through his mind's eye. Memories he would gladly want to forget. The pain those memories caused him left it's mark on him. Quite literally. He covered his eye that was covered by his black hair. He breathed heavily as he lowered down to one knee, gripping the bottle tightly in anger.