Chapter 14

"The abyss order..?" you asked.

"An organization comprised of non-human beings. They despise mankind. That's what Venti told us." Aether informed as you followed him to a cathedral.

"Alright. Now, why are we at a cathedral?" you asked with a small grin as you looked at the cathedral in disdain.

"Venti told us we're going to claim a lyre inside the cathedral." Paimon answered.

"I see, that sounds interesting! Unfortunately, I must not be seen inside a cathedral!" you exclaimed, making Paimon confused.

"What do you mean?" Paimon questioned, making you laugh. "I'm a demon, my dear! There could be nuns and priests inside that could drown me in holy water! Even though it's not effective, it's quite bothersome!" you answered as you pinched Paimon's cheek.

"But not to worry, I'll be staying out here to keep watch. I'll find a way to entertain myself." you reassured as you saw Venti approach your group.

"So.. this 'Holy Lyre der Himmel' is.." Paimon trailed off. You looked at Venti, also interested in the item. "One of the most treasured items in Mondstadt. With it, perhaps I can help Dvalin draw his gentle nature back out of this nightmare he's going through." Venti explained.

"Will it help stop Stormterror from causing more damage?" Aether asked. "Look me in the eyes. Do you not find me trustworthy?" Venti exclaimed, placing a hand on his chest.

'I, myself, am not even trustworthy in the first place. But maybe he can be of use to me in the future...' you thought as you adjusted your monocle and grinned at Venti.

"Well, I trust you won't do anything wrong to us! But if you ever show a small amount of betrayal.. face the consequences of your actions, my friend." you stated while tilting your head lowly to the side, letting out a loud crack as your voice became more static.

You fixed your posture and innocently grinned at the frightened group, pretending  you never scared them. "So how can we get this Holy Lyre you highly speak of?" you asked, quickly changing the topic.

"Well, it's said that it's enshrined deep withing the Cathedral to keep it safe. I'll search for it inside. You guys can come if you like." Venti replied as he went inside the cathedral.

You waved goodbye to Aether and Paimon as you watched them enter the cathedral. You grinned when you felt your shadow formed beside you and looked at it. "Let's follow them inside, shall we?" you asked your shadow as you held out your hand towards it.

Your shadow grinned back at you and took your hand, enveloping your body in darkness. You teleported inside the cathedral and hid in Aether's shadow, making sure not to let yourself known to the others.

You followed Aether as he, Paimon and Venti approached a nun. You listened as Venti talked to the nun, explaining about how he can help stop Stormterror. You had to hold back a laugh when the nun told Venti to leave when Venti asked to borrow the Holy Lyre.

You ignored the rest of the nun's explanation but the words stated by a certain bard caught your ears.

"My disciples, rejoice! Behold, the God of Anemo, Barbatos has descended! Shocked, aren't you? How does it feel to finally meet the god you've been serving?" Venti proudly exclaimed with his hands on his hips.

'Honestly.. I don't believe he even is a god.. There's not much power inside him, I can easily finish him off if I desire to do so.' you thought as you saw the nun ignore Venti and left to do her business.

You decided to look around the cathedral while following Aether to talk to the nun, still hiding as his shadow. "May I see the document from the Knights of Favonius?" your ears perked up as you listened to Aether's answer, knowing that they don't have what the nun was requesting.

"Paimon ate it on our way here." Aether replied.

You silently laughed as you watched Paimon scream at Aether for his answer, pouting and throwing a tantrum. You made a mental note to make some jambalaya for her once you got all the ingredients you need. You moved along with Aether, walking back towards Venti.

"Well then, since borrowing it is not going to be possible. We're simply going to have to steal the lyre." Venti exclaimed as he crossed his arms in thought.

'Stealing an item from a cathedral? My, I never would have thought I'd see someone do so!' you thought to yourself.

"Today we stand on free will! Any ideas on how we steal it?" Venti asked Paimon and Aether. "I don't want to steal anything at all!" Aether replied. "Paimon is a good person! If Paimon goes to jail, Paimon won't be able to eat any of (Y/N)'s yummy food!" Paimon added, making you raise a brow at their answers.

"Well, you're more suitable for this job, Aether. Along with (Y/N), wherever she is. Aside from singing, I don't really have any other talents. If we manage to seize this opportunity, it should be smooth sailing from here." Venti said to Aether.

"It's alright to say no. I could just ask (Y/N) inste--"

"No. I will bring you the Holy Lyre der Himmel." Aether quickly stated, making Venti a bit surprised for being cut off but smiled nonetheless.

"Then let's do it." Venti exclaimed.

'I suppose I should assist here if they ever get caught.. but I can also sabotage this..' you thought in the darkness as you felt your shadow poke your shoulder, making you turn towards it.

You watched as your shadow pointed at Aether. Quickly understanding what it meant, you nodded in reply. 'If Aether gets caught, then I'll lose my entertainment. I also won't be able to find that unknown god without his help.' you thought with a sigh as you fixed the sleeves of your tailcoat.

----------

You watched as Aether stealthily makes his way around the area, avoiding the guards. You moved behind him, hiding in the shadows to make sure nothing happens to your traveling partner.

You noticed a guard coming around the corner to where Aether is currently hiding. You summoned a shadow minion and ordered it to distract the guard.

The shadow minion went behind the guard and grabbed a book from a nearby table. You watched as the shadow minion threw the book straight to the guard's head, knocking the guard unconscious.

You chuckled and gave the shadow minion a nod as the shadow minion saluted in reply and disappeared.