Chapter 39

You were too busy reading your book to notice a figure outside the window beside you. Your ears perked up at the sound of a finger tapping against glass as you looked up from your book. You turned towards the window and came face-to-face with Xiao.

"You couldn't resist me now can you, dear? I always knew I was irresistible." you exclaimed in a low voice and giggled. You placed the book you were reading on a shelf nearby as you turned back towards the window and opened it.

"What brings you to our room? Are you here to try and kill me again?" you asked, crossing your arms over your chest as you looked at Xiao.

"No.. I came here for.." Xiao trailed off, his amber eyes trying to avoid yours as he scratched his cheek with his index finger.

"Come on now, dear. Speak up. I don't bite at all, unless of course it's necessary." you stated as you watched Xiao turn his head to the side and muttered something under his breath, making you even more confused.

"...cook." you heard Xiao mutter as you tilted your head to the side.

"Kitchen.. cook food. Come." Xiao stated as he grabbed your wrist and teleported the both of you to the kitchen.

You blinked in surprise as you finally connected the dots, grinning at Xiao and poking his cheek in a teasing manner.

"Do you want me to cook Jambalaya for you again? Did you like it so much that you want another bowl, darling?" you asked, squishing Xiao's cheek when you notice a faint blush forming on his face.

"N-no. I was getting hungry and the chef was asleep. I notice you were still awake so I decided to ask you." Xiao reasoned, averting his eyes away from you as you giggled at his behavior.

"I see, I don't mind cooking at all. You can take a seat wherever you like while I make you another bowl of Jambalaya." you exclaimed as you began to look around the kitchen for the materials you needed.

Xiao watched as you cook the dish you were making for him. He didn't know what's it called but he couldn't help but like it. Almond Tofu is still his most favorite dish, maybe he can ask you to cook it for him one day if you manage to learn it. Xiao stiffened when he felt his head ache as he begins to hear numerous voices, making his eyes widened in fear.

You heard the sound of someone grunting and groaning as you turned around and saw Xiao holding his head in pain. Turning off the stove, you made your way to Xiao and looked him over for any injuries.

"Dear..?" you called out as you reached your hand towards Xiao. You were surprised when Xiao suddenly slapped your hand away and moved away from you.

"Stay away!" Xiao yelled while glaring at you, leaning against the wall behind him as he slid down on the floor. You saw the adeptus was shaking and whimpering in pain as he stared at the ground.

Walking closer towards the adeptus, you stood in front of him and held his face in your hands. You noticed beads of sweat rolling down Xiao's forehead. You watched as Xiao shakily took hold of your wrist, gripping it tightly.

You felt your smile strain as you tried to think of ways to snap the adeptus back to his senses. You tried waving your hand in front of his face to get his attention but it failed. You winced when you felt Xiao's grip on your wrist tighten, already knowing it's going to leave a dark bruise.

"Xiao!" you called out, lighty shaking the adeptus as his eyes caught sight of you. Xiao stared at you as you used your other hand, that he wasn't holding onto for dear life, to pet his head.

"Calm down, dear. Deep breaths. You're alright." you exclaimed as you continued to run your fingers through his hair in comfort, the male subconsciously nuzzling into your hand. Xiao noticed his tight grip on your wrist as he slowly let go of you and apologized.

You watched Xiao let out a small cough and slowly stood up from his spot, helping him sit down on a nearby chair as you placed the bowl of Jambalaya in front of him. Xiao mumbled a small thanks as he slowly ate the Jambalaya, still shaken up from the sudden pain he went through earlier.

You stood across the table in front of Xiao, lightly rubbing your wrist from his tightening grip earlier. The silence between the two of you was becoming unbearable, making you decide to break the uncomfortable silence.

"I have neither a clue nor idea of what you went through just now. Judging by your posture and the strain of your muscles, I'm guessing you didn't take a rest." you exclaimed as Xiao looked up from his food and glanced at you.

"Adepti doesn't need to sleep." Xiao replied.

"It wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe you just need something to help you fall asleep. Maybe.. you needed a stuffed toy to cuddle with as you sleep?" you suggested, chuckling to yourself when Xiao gave you a glare.

"It was a suggestion! No need to glare at me!" you stated as you held up your hands in defense.

"I may be a demon and all while your job is to assassinate my kind, it wouldn't hurt to share your problems with me. You must have been through a lot with no one to share the pain with. If it helps, I'll be happy to share this pain with you." you exclaimed, making Xiao's eyes widened in surprise.

"Why are you even willing to help me?" Xiao asked, slightly narrowing his eyes at you.

"Well, I wouldn't want my adeptus friend to be swallowed up in darkness, after all. Who would come up to me in the middle of the night and ask me to cook them some Jambalaya? I wouldn't want my Jambalaya to go to waste while my entertainment slowly becomes boring." you replied as you placed your elbow on the table while leaning your chin on the palm of your hand, smirking up at Xiao.

"Do what you want. I don't care if you die." Xiao stated, looking away from your gaze as he continued to eat his meal. You grinned when you noticed his cheeks turning pink.