Chapter 16

You listened as Venti informed Aether and Paimon about Diluc. "Then how does (Y/N) know about him already?" Paimon asked as all eyes turned towards you.

"I've been visiting here often whenever I walk around the city. It may be crowded with customers but the drinks are quite nice. I suppose you can say I'm a regular customer in this wonderful establishment!" you happily lied, opening your arms as you proudly grinned at your companions.

You quickly casted a glance at Diluc, giving him a look to play along to which he nodded.

"Anyways, I just heard about some thieves from the guards. For the record, I like your guts for trying to steal the Holy Lyre der Himmel. Even if you are fools.. but we don't often get to see people like you." Diluc exclaimed as he crossed his arms and looked at Aether.

Between Aether and Diluc, you noticed the two of them were glaring at each other. Paimon and Venti were busy doing their own thing to see the stare down between the two males.

"It wasn't us that stole it! The real thief is still out there!" Paimon reasoned.

"Aether is also given the title as the Honorary Knight." you explained. "Yeah! Why would someone so aspiring steal Mondstadt's sacred treasure?" Venti added.

"Oh, so it's you.. A shame you joined the knights." Diluc stated while letting out a sigh.

You rolled your eyes, already knowing what the red head is about to say next. "Knights of Favonius.. inefficient right from beginning to end. And towards the Fatui? Weak and conservative. Forget it, I don't feel like talking about it." Diluc muttered.

"Now, answers. Why did you steal the Holy Lyre?" Diluc interrogated your companions, you listening in as well. You were positive that Aether could steal the lyre when you were with him in the cathedral before you left. You thought something must have happened after you left Aether.

"If I tell you the story with a performance will you believe me?" Venti asked.

You and Diluc shared a glance and looked back at Venti. "It depends. I'll make my own judgment." Diluc said, crossing his arms.

"Very well! Let me put on a show." Venti exclaimed as he began to tell his tale.

----------

"Outlander, as one of the Knights it seems you're not a suspect. Blonde is the only description on the wanted poster. You should be safe." Diluc informed.

"The Knights aren't quick to catch the thieves but they're quick to make wanted posters. Ha! Why, they're much more terrible than the coppers from my time!" you exclaimed in a fit of laughter, Paimon being confused.

"From your time? You mean your world?" Paimon asked. "Right you are, dear." you answered.

"For the bard however, it'd be better if you stayed in the tavern." Diluc told Venti.

"Ehe, no problem! I like taverns." Venti replied with a wide smile, making Diluc narrow his eyes at him.

"So the good news is that Aether can roam around the city. Bad news is Venti is going to have to stay here. Aether could also be a person of interest, considering his blonde hair, the Knights could also interrogate him." you thought a loud with a small grin.

You turned to Aether and leaned closer towards him. Aether quickly sat up straight when your face went so close to his. He could feel his face becoming warmer by the minute as he tried to look somewhere else aside from your gaze.

Aether can sense the glare being sent at him by a certain tavern owner. In the corner of his eyes, he noticed Venti giving him a thumbs up.

"Aether, dear.." you called out.

Aether silently gulped and looked back at you. "Y-yes?" Aether replied, internally kicking himself for stuttering.

"Would you mind if I..." you trailed off, brushing off some hair away from his eyes using your hand while leaning closer to his ear. Aether could feel his heart pounding from his chest, any moment and he could have a heart attack.

"Dye your hair into another color?" you asked.

"H-huh?" Aether exclaimed with a dazed expression.

You leaned away from Aether and gave him a sly grin. "Dye your hair to another color. To make people seem less suspicious of you, of course." you explained.

"Oohh! What about pink?" Paimon asked.

"No way am I going to dye my hair pink!" Aether yelled out as he and Paimon began to argue.

Venti let out a laugh and decided to join in, suggesting some colors that he thinks could suit Aether well.

Diluc let out a breath he was holding in. He can't help but feel relieved that you didn't do a certain thing to that blonde traveler.

----------

"Say, (Y/N), why don't you try and drink some wine?" Venti asked, clearly drunk as he wrapped an arm around your shoulder.

Diluc told you all to return to the tavern later once it closes. Aether and Paimon left earlier to do some important tasks. They both asked if you wanted to come but you politely refused their offer, stating that you should rest at the tavern instead to which they understand.

Now here you are, currently inside Diluc's tavern with a drunk bard giggling like a child who is having a sugar rush.

"No thank you." you exclaimed as you removed Venti's arm from your shoulder.

"Aww come on! Just a sip!" Venti encouraged as he pushed the bottle of dandelion wine closer to your face. You felt your grin straining as you tried to push the bard away from you, trying your best not to break any arms.

You saw the wine bottle being taken away by Diluc as Venti whined.

"That's because she wouldn't want to end up like you." Diluc stated as he grabbed Venti by the collar of his clothes and placed him in another seat that's far away from you.

"Thank you, darling. I was about to kick him away if he kept invading my space." you muttered, a smile plastered on your face. You and Diluc watched as Venti laughed until he passes out.

"Not a problem at all. I can already see you getting more uncomfortable. Glad I was able to stop it." Diluc replied as he set down two cups of grape juice for the both of you.

"I've been meaning to ask something." Diluc stated as you looked up at him and urged him to continue while you drink the contents inside the cup.

"What kind of demon are you exactly? Aside from being the Radio Demon. Why do you have fluffy ears? I thought demons have horns?" Diluc asked, making you chuckle.

"Well darling, if we're being more specific to myself. I'm a deer demon. The ears and antlers have become a part of me ever since I became a demon." you answered.

"Ever since you became a demon..? You mean to tell me that you were a human once?" Diluc questioned.

"That's a story for another time, darling." you replied with a light chuckle.