13

Emma Winston

"Emma, you need to control them. Take a deep breath and control yourself." 

"I was in love with you and you ruined me. You fucking ruined us." 

"There never was an us."

"I really loved you." 

"I wish I could help you." 

"Remember... A deep breath." 

I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing and turning. I closed my eyes trying to imagine a peaceful place but all my mind could do was haunt up old memories. 

His words haunted me and I wanted anything but to have an meltdown in the middle of the night. I look over at the clock and see that it was 3:44am. 

My windows were all open and the wind was flowing making the curtains fly. Everything was supposed to feel good but all I could feel was a tight grip on my throat slowly trying to suffocate me. 

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. 

I try to take deep breaths but disturbing images flashes through my mind. I come out of my room and go downstairs. Everything was dark apart from the thin ray of light of the moon coming in through the windows. 

I have never gone past the border of Zayn's room and I hesitantly take a step forward. Surprisingly his light was still on from what I could make out from the faint shadow coming from the door margins. 

Walking past his room, there was a narrow stair going downstairs. My heart was beating fast with my mind hoping that I don't find any dead bodies underground. 

But when I make my way downstairs, a dim light was still on. And I realize that it was an undergoing studio with a recording room, different types of instruments and many more technical stuffs. 

Everything looked clean without a single speck of dust. Someone had recently cleaned this place.

I trace my fingers across the guitars and swiftly make a bit of noise with it. Hoping that it was a soundproof studio, I sit in front of the piano. 

It was a large black shiny piano with all the keys intact unlike mine back home. There has been some keywords playing in my mind earlier, so I decide to fiddle with the key and harmony of the piano.

*play Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol*

On suddenly finding the perfect music, I quietly start playing the piano. 

It's been so long since I have touched a piano let alone play one. 

"We'll do it all, Everything, On our own..." I sing trying to piece the lyrics together. Th whole idea was rough but nevertheless I keep on trying, "We don't need, Anything...Or anyone". I add skipping a beat sounding kind of amazing.

"If I lay here... If I just lay here" I sing quietly following the tune of the piano and then I suddenly hit pause. My mind hit a blank, I had no words in my mind. 

"Would you lie with me and just save the world?" an angelic voice comes in.

I look towards the voice and my eyes flash with excitement and a fluttering when I realize it was Zayn leaning on the door frame. He was wearing a dark blue shirt and quietly looking at me.