Ch. 35

Steve felt useless.

He hated feeling useless.

He felt useless back when he was a skinny kid from Brooklyn.

He felt useless when the good doctor died.

He felt useless when he lost Bucky.

He felt useless when he was going into the ice.

He felt useless when he was a man out of time.

He felt useless when Peggy died.

He felt useless when he was fighting Tony.

He felt useless when Peter was taken.

He felt useless now.

Feeling useless as Tony and Bruce work all night on Peter to keep him alive. It was eating at him. The hours ticked by with no word. He must have paced a hole in the floor waiting. The tension radiating from the other Avengers was suffocating. Hours of on and off fighting and break downs between Wade and Jonny was the only thing that pulled him away from the waiting room. Ugly sobs and screams constantly echoed in the halls. 

Steve was well aware of the everyone's relationship with Peter and what he meant to them. Peter was a good kid. Steve would be lying if he said he didn't have a soft spot for the young hero. He'd never say it, but he saw Peter as family, as he did all the Avengers. 

Peter was special though. Peter was a light in the dark life of a super hero. Both as Peter and as Spider-Man. Full of brains and talent, never boasted about his skills even though he was honestly impressive in anything he put his attention to. The quips and jokes brought a smile to everyone's face and lifted even the bleakest of moods. He had a strong sense of responsibility and heart ingrained in him. He cared so much for others, almost too much. He was like Tony in that way. Running himself to the limit till he couldn't anymore. It worried Steve greatly. And now all it felt like he could do is worry.

He hasn't slept since they got Peter back. He just needed to know that he was going to be ok. That he was going to live. That they haven't been robbed of him. He had to be ok.

Or Steve would never forgive himself.

The crying had died down, and Steve wondered  if everything was ok. He was not expecting to see a maskless Wade clinging to Peter's Spider-Man mask walk into the waiting room. As he approached, Steve could see his eyes red and puffy, evidence of all the sobbing that had taken place. Never in a million years world Steve have thought to see such raw emotions from the mercenary.

Wade slumped down into the chair next to where Steve had been pacing. He body looked heavy and on the brink of falling apart.

"A-Any word from tin-man?" His voice failing as he spoke.

"Not yet." Steves voice was short and low. Wade wasn't the only one this was getting to.

"Fuck.... Shut up! I'll ask, I'll ask! I said I'd ask!!" Wade whisper yelled to himself. It was a sight Steve had seen many times, but was never the less off putting to the ex-soldier.

"What do you want to ask?" Steve gently prodded.

"Fuck— I mean, do you think... if it could help... I don't really know all the ins and outs of medical stuff... but would giving Peter some of my blood help? I mean he already has a small healing factor. Who's to say my blood wouldn't help boost it?" Wade nervously rambled on, desperately trying to get his idea across. Steve just stood dumbfounded. Could that work?

Just then Tony came through the med bay doors, looking tired and on the verge of tears.
"He's stable. We... we don't know how long for, and we don't know what other underlining damage could have happened till he wakes up. If he... if... oh god Pete..." Tony spoke with a broken and tired voice, his eyes were welling up as he covered his mouth with his hand.

Steve laid a hand on Tony's shoulder, grabbing his attention.

"Wade has an idea... to give Peter some of his blood to kickstart his own healing factor." Steve prayed  that this would work, trying to not show the nerves in his tone.

"What? No that wouldn't... well... maybe your on to something!" Tony was lit up with new life. "Wade! We're going to have to run a few test first... and we might need a lot of blood." He was given a new perspective and he was ready to act on it.

Wade didn't hesitate a moment.

"For Peter, you can have every drop."