Ch. 9

Peter had seen blood before.

He saw it almost every day he went out as Spider-Man. Either his own blood, the person he was saving's, or the crook's.

A knife wound here. A swollen lip there. Maybe even a black eye or two. Cracked ribs on occasion, but that's what his healing factor is for.

They kinda blend together after a while.

But bullet wounds.

Those stuck with him.

Every time he hears a shot go off, he's taken right back too that night.

The night that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

The night that gave birth to Spider-Man.

But right now he wasn't Spider-Man. Right now he was Peter Parker. Right now he was Peter Parker, standing in his cafe, staring at Deadpool. Staring at the bullet hole in Deadpool's chest. Staring at the blood as Deadpool's lifeless body collapses. Staring at the man who he caught in his arms to save him some dignity. Staring at him as he is taken back to that night. Taken back to how he held his uncle the same way.

The world was moving in slow motion around him. Peter felt a cold metallic hand on his shoulder. Passing a half glance, Peter knew it was Tony. He had said something to Peter, but he didn't hear. Tony turned to the window and shouted out something about chasing someone to someone out of sight. He then tried talking to Peter again, but Peter just sat there stunned.

He just sat there.

Holding onto Deadpool's body.

Waiting for something.

This wasn't the first time someone had died in front of him. He's had a few failed rescues in his time as Spider-Man. They had all left him pretty messed up, but this was different.

There wasn't a sharp pain of guilt in his lungs.

He wasn't crying.

He was just... waiting.

Something was off about Deadpool.

Peter didn't know how, but he felt like Deadpool was not fully... well, dead.

Then he heard it.

A pulse.

"W-What is he?" Peter eventually sputtered out, turning to address Tony.

Tony let out an annoyed sigh. "He's a mutant, one with an impressive, and sometimes annoying healing factor. The man can't die. Rather, he can't stay dead. He's also been back to the land of the living since I got here." Tony stepped over next to Deadpool, giving him a swift kick in the gut.

"Wade! Stop scaring my intern!" Tony all but shouted. Deadpool grunted deeply, and grumbled something to himself as he sat up. He snapped his head towards Tony.

"What was that for??? You cock blocking jerk?! The kid might have tried CPR!!! That was my one sure chance at some mouth on mouth action!" Deadpool complained in a higher than what Peter thought was normal tone.

From an out side view, it would have looked like Tony had spoiled a little kid's prank on his crush, and Deadpool was definitely acting as such.

Peter on the other hand was burning up from the blush that was ever growing on his face. He didn't know if it was Deadpool's comment or the fact that he fell for the trick. He didn't know. However, there was one thing he knew for sure, Deadpool was going to be the death of him.