Ch. 11

The smell of alcohol was thick on Wade's breath by the time he returned to the glass and metal stronghold that was Avengers Tower. The bright lights against the sterile white tiles caused his head to buzz with annoyance. He couldn't get drunk, but getting chewed out by IronDick after the kid left put him in a bad mood. So what if he visited the liquor store? It was he was heading from that direction anyway?

His pay had been cut due to almost causing the kid to have a panic attack. Tony was not kidding around when it came to the little nerd.

But Tony was the one that teamed them up.

Now that team-up was costing him money.

Wade was pissed.

Not that the voices cared.

[Drinks on me~ I wanna live free~ This is not who I wanna be~]

(You can't sing and you have no money.)

[Rude.]

(Bitch.)

[Jerk.]

"Shut the fuck up."

The glass door between the entrance of the tower and the lobby shattered as Wade slammed it closed. Heads turned as the patrons got quite. As Wade hobbled across the room, he didn't even look over to the distressed lady behind the welcome desk. Hell. He didn't really pay attention to anything of the onlookers as he approached the elevator door. He was heading for Peter.

(We going to see Petey???)

[I don't think that's a good idea.]

(I wanna see him!)

[sigh]

Wade punched the floor button that he knew would take him to the Avengers break room. Wade decided that if Tony was gonna put the kid in the way of his money, that he was just going to take him out of the picture.

"I'm going to kill him. I don't care how cute his little virgin face is! I want his blood all over the building. We'll see how Mr. Tony Stark likes his little pet in pieces!"

(No!!!)

[Yes! Blood!!! Beautiful, beautiful BLOOD!]

(Wade I swear to hell that if you touch my Peter I will never let you sleep again! I will make you wish that the devil himself was in here instead of me!)

"I'd like to see you try."

(Excuse me?!?)

At that moment, Wade knew he fucked up.

[Oh what fun!]

(SHUT THE FUCK UP! YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU USELESS SHRIVELED UP AVOCADO CUNT. HUMAN GARBAGE LIKE YOU SHOULDN'T BE EVEN WALKING THE SAME GROUND AS THAT KID, LET ALONE THINK YOUR GOOD ENOUGH TO KILL HIM! YOU'RE A PATHETIC CHILD WHOSE BLAMING SOMEONE ELSE FOR SOMETHING YOU DID. NOW GET OVER YOURSELF AND CALM FUCKING DOWN!!!)

Wade fell to the floor, breathing heavily. He began to beat his head repeatedly. His heart was beating faster as he muttered aloud.

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up."

(What? Can't handle the truth? You're a monster. Worse you can't even take responsibility for your own life and you're about to go kill an innocent kid because you're not taking a job seriously. A job that, may I remind you, involves the very people who fucked you up. Made you immortal. Permanently scrambled your brain. And up until this job, spent years making sure that every last one of them was burning in hell.)

Tears were starting to come down Wade's face, dampening his mask.

"Shut up. Shut up."

(Lastly, we got gypped out of a lovely marriage because we now just as ugly on the outside as we are on the inside. This is your mess. Now pull yourself fucking together and finish the damn job, kid intact and all.)

Wade just nodded. Silently reliving the pain from the voice's words. He knew he had a stake in this job as much as anyone, including the kid.

"P-Peter doesn't deserve to get hurt." Wade choked out from his tears.

[wow.]

(I don't want to hear it from you.)

Wade was coming back to his senses as the elevator door opened with its gentle ding. He staggered out and looked around the room.

The large open area did not appear to have anyone present at the moment. Wade's noise scrunched up. The whole area smelt of bleach with a tint of motor oil. From where he stood the main sitting area and the dining room table were empty. However, light snoring could be heard from the area further in that housed the TV room and kitchen.

Quietly, Wade walked past the dining room table, and turned down the hall towards the TV room. He tried his best not to step too heavy on the tile floor, keeping the advantage of stealth.

As he peered in, however, it turned out he didn't need it. Laying curled up on the expensive leather couch was the intern himself, lightly snoring away. Peter was covered by a throw blanket, and judging by how it was draped, was probably placed on him after he fell asleep.

(Poor thing must have been more tired than we thought!)

'He shouldn't have to be put under so much pressure from IronDick...'

[Kid still needs time to be a kid. Hell knows we never got that!]

(Yes, And now he's a man-child.)

"Hey!"

Wade whipped his hand to his mouth as his attention was solidly on Peter. The kid shifted in place and made a face of discomfort. Wade crept forward to get a better look, stopping just close enough to be practically touching his face.

"Easy baby boy, you're ok." Wade cooded as he gently brushed his hair back out of Peter's face. As if he heard Wade, Peter instantly relaxed, face returning to its peaceful state.

[and you were going to kill him.]

'Shut up.'

(He has a point. You did say—)

'I don't care what I said, I've made up my mind.'

Wade knelt down, and even though he had the mask on, laid a gentle kiss on Peter's forehead.

"Nothing is gonna hurt you, I promise"

Wade's whispers went unheard, but the promise was real.

No one was going to hurt Peter, not on his watch. And if saving Spider-Man was going to ease the hurt, then by god he was going to rip Hydra a new one.