Chapter 43: Threats

Jackie POV:

"The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli, but so far they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing." Sam sighed before continuing. "She's gone. We'll never find her." Dad hummed, clearly not surprised.

"Hey, you got your sleeve back." Torres greeted, his smile the only one visible in the room. Dad rolled his eyes, not appreciating the humor. I flashed a smile at his response while finishing tying my boots, having decided to change once we got back to the camp. Within the three hours since the fight, Dad's injuries had completely healed while mine was well on the way. Thankfully, I had inherited a bit of his serum, although it mostly just affected my healing speed.

"It's a different coat." I deadpanned, jumping off of the table and nodding to Dad that I was ready.

"Are you off to take care of Zemo?" Sam asked as we left the room, only answered with a nod before we left his sight. Trotting down the stairs, Dad and I stopped to decide what our next move was.

"I'm thinking he's in Sokovia, visiting that monument." I suggested.

"Yeah, seems the only likely place he'd be at." Dad agreed. "Where are you headed too?"

"Back to the US." I informed. "Walker's going on trial, I wanna be there and make sure everything's tight. If there's any chance of him being able to come after us, I'm going to destroy it."

"Let me guess, Stark's going to be there." Dad stated rather than asked, making me chuckle.

"You know it." I smiled. "The final nail to his coffin--the famous Tony Stark disagreeing with his actions. And if he's a good enough mood, I might ask him to make some replacement wings for Sam."

"Yeah...hold off on that, will ya?" Dad asked. "I think I know a place that can do it a bit better."

"Whatever you say." I shrugged. "I'll see you when you get back to New York."

"Sounds good." Dad nodded, us going our separate ways.

*****(Later)*****

"So what's the limit of the slander that I can paint on this Walmart Cap?" Ed asked, putting the car into park. He had insisted on driving to the courthouse, once again refusing to let someone else drive.

"I'm giving you free reign on this one." I informed.

"Really?" Ed's eyes brightened with excitement.

"Yeah, really." I smiled, amused at his reaction. And so, as soon as we exited the car and the press swarmed towards us, Ed immediately began his tirade of off-handed insults and mocking compliments. Thankfully at the beginning, I was left alone. However, as soon as they spotted me, it seemed that suddenly I was the focus of attention, everyone having already gotten Ed's statements.

"Mrs. Barton! Mrs. Barton!" One of the reporters exclaimed, getting in front of me. "What do you think of John Walker's actions?"

"I believe that he was under the influence of his emotions, something that should never happen in a fight. When you let your emotions get the best of you, bad things happen. But in a situation like we were in, they have deadly consequences." I recited what Peggy had told me years ago.

"Do you think that he deserves to keep the shield and his Captain America status?" Another reporter asked.

"I believe that he never deserved it in the first place." I snorted, pushing past them and getting past the courthouse that was keeping the press out. It was a minute or two both Ed managed to elbow his way through the crowd, chuckling. He didn't get out very much anymore, instead choosing to stay at the lakehouse with Pepper and Morgan. So when he had a chance for all eyes to be on him, he absolutely loved it. Ed had originally wanted to fly in inside his latest Iron Man suit, but Pepper had quickly shut down that idea.