Chapter 44: GRC

Jackie POV:

"I'm almost there." Sam informed Dad and me, the wind noise faintly from his comms.

"What's the plan?" Dad asked, the two of us walking together towards the GRC building that was currently on lockdown. In fact, the only reason we were allowed into the perimeter was because of my Avenger status and connection to Ed.

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open." Sam reminded.

"Well, with the right tech, it could be anybody." I hummed.

"And by the way, I called in some backup." Sam added, making us exchange confused looks.

"Excuse me, sir. Are you supposed to be here?" Just as Sam spoke, a man called out to us. We both turned to look oddly at the man, only for it to be revealed that it was Sharon. Great, now I have to deal with the criminal. Yes, I knew about her Power Broker status, I may have been semi-out-of-the-game, but I still knew what was going out in the world. And apparently more than the two bozos with me.

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Dad mumbled.

"Relax. No one's looking for me here." Sharon rolled her eyes, nodding to me.

"Do I hear Sharon?" Sam asked.

"Sadly." I responded, looking her up and down. From the time she started at SHIELD, I hated her. There was just something about her that went against my grain, and not exactly the Power Broker status she now had either. She just...made me feel like I needed to plant her six feet below.

"Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together." Sharon greeted.

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam spoke, making me roll my eyes.

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway." Sharon shrugged, clearly talking about something I didn't know about.

"Depends on the therapist." Dad quipped.

"They'll move on the building soon." I interrupted, sensing a change in the air. Keeping my eyes and ears opened, I greatly missed the wolf-like abilities that had come with having Shadow.

"What's going on on your end?" Sam asked, having apparently finally arrived.

"Nothing. All quiet." Dad answered. While Sam was announcing that he was Captain America, I was quickly working things out as Sharon and Dad started walking the perimeter.

"No one's moving toward the building." Sharon added.

"Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out." I realized, quickly sharing my findings with the others. "We need to keep everyone inside."

"You guys are gonna have to do something, I'm caught up here." Sam informed. "Like Jackie said, don't let them out of the building." By the 'oops' I heard Sharon mumble and the crowd of people I saw moving away from the glass walls, I figured out that they had done the opposite. Growling in annoyance, I started running towards the top, hoping that I'd be able to catch them before the helicopters lifted off.

"Seriously Bucky, you had one job." Sharon groaned, informing me that Dad had done something he wasn't supposed to. Honestly, not a surprise. After all, I was my father's daughter.

"You worry about your guy." Dad ordered, the purr of a motorcycle in the background.

"Well, that's one down." Sharon remarked after a minute.