eight.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Poppy smirked at her best friend as she slipped into a tiny red dress. The speck of a woman looking herself over in the mirror with a tilted stare, holding the phone to her ear, listening to James nervously extend apologies about her father showing up.

"James, you don't have to worry about him. He's basically a sperm donor. I just met him a week ago." She giggled as she finished her lipcolor. Deciding to keep her makeup extremely minimal, just a terra cotta lip and mascara.

She wore a black tank halter top and a blue and green short textured skirt that was almost looked over for being 'too short' until her best friend rattled off a speech about owning her sexuality and her little curvy body women would kill for.

She held the cellphone to her ear, slipping into her favorite black strappy heel on one foot and a boot on the other to see herself put together.

Clicking speaker as she tried to finish getting ready. "Still heading to Max's with Nat?" Nat pointed to the heel with a 'duh?' face.

"Yes, James. I'll see you in an hour, I'll be the one of two dancing redheads."

"Well, that view I look forward to. Please, be safe. I'm looking forward to seeing you." He smiled into the phone as Steve walked into his apartment.
"See you soon, James."

As the phone clicked off, Bucky locked eyes with Steve, "I'm losing my shit, she doesn't even know it." Steve laughed as he handed his friend a bottle of bourbon, "she might know it, I've never known you to be subtle."
The blonde watched his friend panic, "come on then, let's go get dinner with Sam."

Nat squealed, "okay you said he was into you, you failed to mention it was like that."
Poppy furrowed her brow, "it's just a crush. He'll get over it, they all do."
Nat waved a hand as she grabbed the bottle from her purse, "he's smitten. And excuse me, they don't just get over you. I bet by the end of the night, he'll be full blown obsessed...but you'll still be clueless."

The two giggled as Poppy shook her head, her straightened red hair falling around her frame. "We shared one kiss, but I know it's just lust...it will ruin everything. Remember our conversation about my self destruct?"

Nat scoffed as she took a big swig from the bottle, "or it will make everything great. You destroy anything that may be great before it even starts. I think thats destructive, Tiny."

"It's not destructive, I'm protective...two very different things." She stated matter-of-factly as she lifted a drink to her lips.
"If you say so, I think you just like setting fire to your own life." Nat spoke in an accusatory singsong voice that made her little sister roll her eyes dramatically.

"Everyone loves a fire until they get burned..." Poppy shrugged with another swig of liquid courage before continuing. "He is the first guy I can actually picture myself with, its terrifying to think like that."