fifteen.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

"I'm ready to test the new system," small orange coiled hair pops through the small opening of the door to the meeting room the next afternoon. Emerald eyes are met with a line of a dozen unfamiliar faces and a tightening pit forms in her stomach.

"Sorry, Sir, I was unaware of a meeting. The core system is ready for testing." She clasped her dainty hands behind her back as she looked from Steve to Sam, before locking her gaze with his, shifting her weight between her two heeled feet.

"Awesome, Miss. Ember. While we have you here, these are a few of our investors and partners. Everyone this is Poppy Ember," he locked eyes with her and smiled.

As she dared look up around the room, a gruff old voice booms, "this is the felon you insisted be hired?" An older gentleman spoke in an incredulous tone as he scanned her up and down, judgement on his face, and he wasn't the only one. A furious wave of protectiveness covered James' demeanor.

As Sam gave her a sympathetic look, she looked at the older man, a twinkle of animosity in her gaze. "Yes, Sir, I am the felon," her words were seeping with venom. Something always shifted in the miniscule woman when she was doubted or made to feel small. The fire inside her always ignited when she had to defend her character.

"But I am also the reason the security system in this place won't be hacked anytime soon, which I imagine will make you some money. I plan on continuing to use my talents to help BBR grow. You shouldn't judge someone's character based on decisions of their past, mistakes." She felt stares narrowing in her direction and she looked down. "It was only a question little missy."

All three of her friends knew as soon as he said it and held their breath. She rolled her eyes and planted her feet on the ground and hands on her hips, "my name is Poppy."

With a small huff of a breath she looked sympathetically towards Steve and Sam before rushing toward the door, glancing at the raven haired man once more. She felt a small wave of shame, "ready when you are. I'll be in my office."

As the last orange coils disappeared from their vision, Steve was the first to clear his throat. "Sir, she is more than a felon, so please, let's avoid that topic."

Tattood palms met the table with force, "I will have zero patience with anyone insulting or judging Miss. Ember, she is an asset and has already proven her worth for our growth. Understood?" He looked around the room, it filled with silence and tension. Everyone that works with Barnes knows he is a serious control freak, he is great at controlling it until he is upset. Sam and Steve nodding to him as they start to work with the group of upset business people infront of them.

Before the meeting had even ended, the CEO was on his way to her office, barging into the door with a force he hadn't meant to.

As the door swung open, there she was, typing away on her laptops with a focused stare until she blinked and her gaze met him.