twenty-three.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Bucky took Steve and Sam out to their favorite bar in Manhattan to thank them for a busy and successful week. The waitress set down their flights of beer with a sweet smile and a stare at Steve, who shifted and nodded and smiled with a "thanks sweetheart."

"Thank you," James hummed and she turned to walk away. He smirked at his phone to see Poppy sent him text.

[Poppy♡]: Thinking of u

Steve and Sam smile from their side of the booth as they watch their friend beam at his phone. Sam knocking on the table, "Buck, she's changing you." They both nod as Bucky looked between them, "how do you mean, Sammy?"

Sam chuckles, "like there's a fire and excitement inside you, we haven't seen you like this since when we were just abke to legally drink."
Steve scoffed, "and how long ago was that?" They all chuckled Bucky answering, "too damn long."

They all take a big drink, Bucky looked at his friends, "to be honest. The more time I spend with her, the more alive I feel. Its like I didn't know how lonely I felt until I met her. She makes everything feel more thrilling."

Sam rolls his eyes, "it's fast Buck."

Steve nodded as he teased, "as your friend, I should remind you... most stories involving a paradox don't end well."
James rolls his eyes, "yeah yeah, she is constantly bracing me for the inevitable hellfire." They all laugh as they enjoy some soft pretzels and beer.

James looked back up after he chews his bite, "Steve, what story with a paradox were you thinking of?"
Steve chuckles, "Terminator. You?"
Bucky shakes his head, "Donnie Darko." They all laugh, Sam a bit louder, "sinister? Not our Poppy."

[James♡]: Miss you, P. Thinking of you too.

"Ours? She is perfect. I have'ta say...Poppy was wierd all week," Bucky stated as he lifted his drink to his lips. Steve looked down at the names on the wooden board before him, trying to avoid Bucky's stare.
Sam leaned forward with his drink, "she is always wierd, we may need specifics."

Bucky let out a breath, "like she is avoiding me and staring at the floor. It's odd, she's been off all week. Especially in person."

"I havent noticed. I just don't want to see you get hurt, Buck. This is all super fast." Steve pleaded. "But I do adore the little cherry you hired, she is special so...don't screw it up."
Sam adds, "agreed, don't be the one to fuck it up Barnes. We need her."

As they spoke he noticed Steve staring at the wood and picking at something on the table with his hand, avoiding Bucky's eyes. He smirked, knowing his lifelong friend was holding something back. "Stevie, do you have something to tell me?"

As he finished his question, a man with tattoos and a fitted black vneck tshirt walked up to their table with a pressed brow as he stared at Bucky with an inquisitive look.